95 Tahoe actuator issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rsails

Reaction score
95 Tahoe

I am able to put the floor lever into 4lo and 4 hi. But actuator not engaging I think

I pulled the side fuse panel From what I can tell the #2 fuse slot controls the actuator. But the fuse is missing and there are no metal slots to install fuse

Am I missing another fuse Tgat controls the front axle?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn’t know there was a fuse just for the actuator. Try the 4wd fuse or anything related to 4wd. Or actuator is bad.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missing fuse terminals doesn't seem likely. Nobody would remove those two terminals in the fuse box. Verify with the service manual. It worked at some point, so it ought to work again.

If this is the older, thermal actuator like my '88 K1500, they're a very-common failure point. You could disconnect the thing electrically, and then test for power and ground at the truck-side of the harness. Ideally, the thermal units get upgraded to the stepper-motor style like my '97 K2500 using the "upgrade" kit, rather than just a straight replacement with another thermal unit--but that's up to you. I don't know when GM switched from the thermal to the stepper-motor style.

Retracted...or failed thermal actuator.
You must be registered for see images attach

Activated and actually working thermal actuator (NAPA aftermarket replacement):
You must be registered for see images attach