95 GMC K1500 5.7 runs rich. Tried all options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M95z71

Reaction score
1995 GMC K1500 5.7 running rich. I’ve verified all sensors and wiring. Had a vacuum leak under the intake which has been fixed along with new spark plugs. The only sensor that doesn’t check out is MAP. Have 21-22 inches of vacuum at idle and I’m getting a little over 3 volts out of the MAP sensor. Input is steady at 5v. Should be around 1v coming out if I’m not mistaken. Swapped a known good MAP sensor on and no change. When warmed up it will hold a somewhat steady idle at 750 rpm but it’s still rich. What am I missing?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Disconnect and plug the vacuum line that attaches to the MAP sensor. Attach a manual vacuum pump to the MAP signal port and apply vacuum. See if the MAP value changes. If it does then your signal line is plugged.

M95z71

Reaction score
Disconnect and plug the vacuum line that attaches to the MAP sensor. Attach a manual vacuum pump to the MAP signal port and apply vacuum. See if the MAP value changes. If it does then your signal line is plugged.
I put a vacuum gauge on the line. It was 21-22 inches

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in closed loop the 02 sensor and map sensor along with TPS sensor calls the shots.. is it working? is the truck going into closed loop?
make sure the grounds on the thermostat housing are clean and tight, make sure the vacuum lines arent soft and collapsing under vacuum.
also did u SPECIFICally CHECK THE ohms reading on the CTS and the ground wire for it.. check your coolant level also. ive heard of cases where the sensor stayed cold because the radiator was low on fluid.

M95z71

Reaction score
in closed loop the 02 sensor and map sensor along with TPS sensor calls the shots.. is it working? is the truck going into closed loop?
make sure the grounds on the thermostat housing are clean and tight, make sure the vacuum lines arent soft and collapsing under vacuum.
also did u SPECIFICally CHECK THE ohms reading on the CTS and the ground wire for it.. check your coolant level also. ive heard of cases where the sensor stayed cold because the radiator was low on fluid.

Smooths out a little bit the more it warms up but open loop vs closed loop is not much different. I believe I was loaned a vacuum gauge that reads in kpa instead of in hg so I think I still have a vacuum leak. MAP sensor changes with a handheld vacuum pump on it. Checked coolant temp resistance and grounds. Have a throttle body rebuild kit so I can give it a good cleaning and make sure base gasket is good. Now I just need time to do it

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
should be remarkable changes when it goes into closed loop.. what MV is your 02 sensor reading cold, then warm? does the idle go down when it goes into closed loop? EGR is a likely spot for a vacuum leak, you can take it off and test it.,. if its letting exhaust gas go into the intake at idle theres a problem. check your brake booster too make sure the hose or the booster itself isnt leaking. make sure the round gasket on your IAC isnt leaking. if u have to, u can make a little homemade smoke tester with a coffee can and air pump and smoke it. these iron intakes and heads dont walk much, its usually not a vac leak from the intake to heads on these, its likely the TBI gasket, EGR, VAC HOSE, ect.. if your going to keep the truck, I would highly recommend getting some type of scanner that can see whats happening.. I got a actron CP 9690 for abt 180.00 and it is great for these old trucks. it has adapters for obd1 and 2 systems. when u can see all the data , what the 02 sensor voltage is, battery volts, fuel trims , IAC position, map votage, ect, it really makes it ALOT easier than guessing. Once u get the truck running good, you can record and print all of the PID data, for reference , so if it starts acting up again, u will have a baseline to look at, when it was running good, then pick out the stuff that is different.