94 Chevy Brake Switch Not Engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
94 Chevy k1500
Brake switch only engages when I manually pull up on the switch assembly. When the brake pedal is pressed down, the brake switch slides down the booster shaft but does not make the contacts within the switch unless I pull on the switch to engage it all the way. Just got the truck done, got a ratchet strap hook on the brake switch so I don't have to cancel my inspection appointment but would like to get it fixed today. Is this a sign of a bad switch? It just seems like there's not enough friction on the shaft to keep the switch from moving so freely before the contacts inside the switch engage, I'm skeptical that a new switch would just do the same thing. Or is the current switch contact mechanism have too much restriction thus needing a new switch? What's your guys experience with these switches??
Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My experience is that they do go bad, and at $10-$15 for a brand new one, you can waste a lot more time than money by wondering instead of simply replacing it. :gr_grin:

Richard