6.5 turbo diesel dies while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 6.5td

Reaction score
hey everyone, just bought a 97 2500 with the 6.5td in it, and new to the forum. my problem is... yesterday on my way home from work, the check engine light came on, and turned out to be a p0126 for coolant temp too low. the temp gauge hasnt worked since the last guy got the truck (4 years ago) and i tried replacing the sensor to no avail. last night on my way home from a friends house, the engine died 3 times in the 15 minute ride home. first two times i had to completely stop to get it started, third time i just had to slow down a little bit. it starts just fine otherwise, as soon as i hit the key. it was fine earlier today while i was running errands, but it died on me again on my way home tonight. i'm really at a loss as to what could be causing this, because it seems to be so random (to me anyways, completely new to diesels but always willing to learn). any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any other questions concerning an issue you think may be causing it, i would be glad to answer because i may have left something out (been racking my brain trying to figure this one out). thanks again in advance!
-mike

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Fuel filter? Crazy enough, I used to put farm diesel in a Jetta we had, and wasps made a nest in the fuel nozzle, well I pumped some in to my fuel tank and had some random shut down issues. Needless to say VW was shocked to find bees stuck in my fuel lines...

Kadams87

Reaction score
If your oil pressure is good I would say it's the PMD. It's the black box that is mounted to the side of the Injector Pump down in the engine valley. Given their location they get very hot, sometimes double the temp of the engine. The one on my 95 never died but I heard alot about it when I was researching other problems on mine.

As for the Code, it sounds like the wiring may have some trouble if you replaced the sensor.

The yellow wire goes back to the computer and pins out on C11
The black wire is the sensor ground, it's shared by other sensors on the engine, odds are that wire is good but just to make sure it will pin out on B12

See the attached PDF to double check and test your coolant sensor. Ohm across the pins on the sensor.

Attachments

• 6.5TD Sensor Ranges.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 1

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
yes sounds like a bad pmd, get a kit from kennedy or heath and relocate a new pmd to the back of the bumper