1998 454 in 1996 C1500 with 0411 PCM. No fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Got my PCM back from the tuner. Plugged her in and no dice. Engine turns but will not fire.

My gauge cluster is being stupid, when I turn the key on a few lights come on and stay on - The battery light (even though battery is fully charged), "Check Gauges" light, "Brake" light, ABS light, both turn signal arrows, and bright light (with lights off). Also the oil pressure and fuel level gauges are all the way at 3 o'clock (they point directly to the right), but the voltmeter reads correctly and I assume the temp gauge does too since it jumps to 100 and stays there.

It gets weirder. When I hit a turn signal either way it gives a single buzz and nothing happens, but when I turn on the hazards they will flash but it also flashes the entire gauge cluster until I turn the park lights on and then it stops everything. When I hit the brake the brake lights do not turn on. I have remote start with lock/unlock and it does nothing when I hit the remote but the indicator light on the box is on.

AND, when I plugged in my code reader, the "brake", ABS, turn signal arrows, and bright light indicator all went away, and immediately came back on when I unplugged the reader. But no codes.

I tried jumping the power wire on the coil directly to the battery, no change.

All I have to say is -

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would double check your pin out on the pcm plug.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I would double check your pin out on the pcm plug.

I've double, triple, quadrauple, and quintuple checked it. Even had both of my buddies who were hanging around check just to have fresh eyes on it. I'm stumped

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well your feeding where you shouldn't, if your wiring is correct the pcm is bad.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I'm completely stumped. The ONLY thing I don't have hooked up is the harness under the passenger side of the dash, which is just for A/C-heat right? I just haven't gotten around to adapting it since I've been trying to figure this out, the '98 harness is different from my '96 body side.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
look, it doesn't matter whats not hooked up. you are getting power where and when you shouldn't. I don't know programming but its that or your wiring. put that pcm in another truck and see what it does

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I would, but I don't have another truck with a 454 set up for the 0411. I'm not trying to argue, I just know it's hard to diag over the computer and I'm giving any information I have that may or may not have anything to do with it, as I have seen weirder things be the culprit. I pulled the engine/trans/harness from a running truck. I pulled the PCM from a running (wrecked) truck. I no longer have either one to test anything with. I'm down to a few options -
-The pinout for a 350 and 454 are different (I don't know), and I may have been given the pinout for a 350, I've already PMed Jeff to ask him
-The tuner tuned for a 350 according to my VIN, even though I specified 454
-There's a difference in the (primary) firewall plug wiring layout for the '96 and '98, causing interior power issues
-There's a sensor not reading somewhere (not sure which, all have checked out, and that wouldn't explain the gauge/lighting issue)