1996 c2500 5.7 smokes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sback2010

Reaction score
When I start the truck in the morning and take off I get white smoke. Also, on a hard acceleration I get a huge plume of white smoke. Sometimes oil is a quart low and coolant sometimes is low but no leaks. What might this be. I have read head gaskets and or manifold gasket.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
White smoke, burning coolant. Black smoke, burning oil. A general rule of thumb, but it could be burning both.

Intake gaskets are extremely, extremely common on any small-block Vortec. It could be a head gasket, but I'd bet you it's the intake. They all fail on these engines it seems.

I'm planning on doing mine in the spring, as a preventative measure. Not bad yet to my knowledge, but I don't know if they've been replaced or not.

Burning a little oil is pretty common in my experience, I wouldn't worry too much about that unless it's really excessive. Going through coolant though, is not a good sign.

sback2010

Reaction score
Thanks, found out the coolant was low because of water pump. weep hole in bottom was slowly leaking unnoticeable, until the other day when it was pouring out. I replaced it and no more antifreeze leek but still getting white smoke. Planning on swapping out my ebay air intake for a k&n cold air intake soon because truck seems to be running a little rich.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start by doing a compression test, if there is more then a 15 psi differance between any cylinders; that would indicate a head gasket failure. Do you notice any milky colored oil in the crankcase/dipstick?