1995 suburban 4l60 trouble :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckintyler

Reaction score
So last week I left home and the truck was shifting werid, to get into 2 I would have to rev to 3500 then let off and it would shift. Seemed to go from 2-3 no problem but I don't think I got into 4 (OD). So I continued driving for an hour or so thinking it was just cold (-18 weather) but it didn't get better, eventually I couldn't get into 2nd and if I tried I would also lose 1st gear and be stopped.
If I shut the truck off for 10 seconds I would get 1st and R but no 2 and it would continue the same where if I tried to get into second i would lose all gears unless I restarted the truck.
Trans fluid smells burnt.

Now before this happened I would get the occasional SES light and the trans would shift high and hard. Is this limp mode? Was this a warning?

I'm not a transmission expert but it seems it pooched. 386000 km
On this 4l60e, never been replaced just fluids and filter by one owner no towing.

Any input is greatly appreciated weather I should pull the trans or
Does it sound like an electrical issue?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes, your fears are correct, trans is toast. My first one did this exact same thing. If you need to move the truck, pull the trans fuse, and put the shifter in 2nd gear. gently start it off in 2nd then move the shifter to 3rd. it won't have overdrive like this but the truck can be moved this way if your clutches have enough pad left on them to pull at all

truckintyler

Reaction score
Thank you for helping me,
It's home now I didn't mention the $150 flatbed tow,
Not sure what to do now, my plans are a 3/4 drivetrain swap, but it's too cold for that now.

So will any 95 4l60 work? 4x4 pickup suburban jimmy blazer just to get me going again?
I do small engine work and have some good mechanical skills, would rebuilding a 4l60e be a difficult task? Any micrometer work? Or just replacing various parts?

Last edited:

98_k1500

Reaction score
Its not really as bad as most people think. If you can rebuild a small engine, you can rebuild a 4l60e. It is time consuming, but its not a terribly complicated task. My best advice is buy a book on it and have at it. The hardest part of it is getting the snap ring off the output shaft. Its just in an awkward spot. A BEAST sun shell and corvette 2-4 servo are both well worth the money. I would not advise building it yourself if you plan to pull massive burnouts/sink it in a mud hole every day. It will not last. But if you plan on driving it like an adult, you can rebuild it and it will last. The first trans i ever rebuilt has over 100,000 miles on it now and is driven every day. I have rebuilt the transmission in my truck 4 times and its now out again. That is a combination of a lead foot and 35 inch tires. Long story short, if you don't plan to abuse it, buy a book and a rebuild kit and have at it. Also, a new torque converter is HIGHLY recommended. You can probably save $1000 doing it yourself.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try checking the code could be the tps switch on the throttle body, that causes funky shifting

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
correction on what I posted didnt see that the fluid smelled burnt,95 4l60's are a one year only trans

98_k1500

Reaction score
I stand corrected. The 95 trans is a one year. It is more similar to a 94 trans than a 96, but has the pwm.

Last edited:

truckintyler

Reaction score
I'd like to add that the whole passenger underside is wet with trans fluid, is there a vent on too the trans?
It's in the barn now getting ready to be pulled.
So I'm stuck between doin it myself or there's a guy a few hours away who rebuilds them and has a 95 ready to go.
"I have one its rebuilt with transgo shift kit hardened sunshell, corvette servo, unbreakable pump rings, billet accumulators new epc solenoid all reybestoes cluthes steels band and sprags $975 exchange"
That's what he said , 975 doesn't seem too bad to me. He's located in Woodstock ontario and runs a transmission shop. He looks to have many 4l60e with the same upgrades.

Sound good?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 trans is a one year only trans trust me on this I know firsthand by a buddy of mine not listening helped take out the wrong one and put right one in nothing is changeable on the 95 trans

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to add that the whole passenger underside is wet with trans fluid, is there a vent on too the trans?
It's in the barn now getting ready to be pulled.
So I'm stuck between doin it myself or there's a guy a few hours away who rebuilds them and has a 95 ready to go.
"I have one its rebuilt with transgo shift kit hardened sunshell, corvette servo, unbreakable pump rings, billet accumulators new epc solenoid all reybestoes cluthes steels band and sprags $975 exchange"
That's what he said , 975 doesn't seem too bad to me. He's located in Woodstock ontario and runs a transmission shop. He looks to have many 4l60e with the same upgrades.

Sound good?

That is a very fair price. Get a receipt with the warranty on it. I would go that route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDont