1994 5.7 Stalled out???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1994 GMC 1500 5.7 TBI with 165000 on it. Today it randomly stalled out on me. My temp, volts and oil gauges were normal. My oil pressure usually idles low around 15. My truck just shut down so I shifted into neutral, and cranked it and it started but then died again after maybe 5 seconds. I pulled off and when I pressed the brake pedal it was locked up. When I cranked it the brake pedal would start to go down but the truck still wouldn't start. I gave it some gas and it finally turned back on and I had not service lights or codes. I have no idea what it could be????? Iv read the fuel pumps go bad on these pretty often. Any other ideas or thoughts on what it could be? Thanks

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1994 GMC 1500 5.7 TBI with 165000 on it. Today it randomly stalled out on me. My temp, volts and oil gauges were normal. My oil pressure usually idles low around 15. My truck just shut down so I shifted into neutral, and cranked it and it started but then died again after maybe 5 seconds. I pulled off and when I pressed the brake pedal it was locked up. When I cranked it the brake pedal would start to go down but the truck still wouldn't start. I gave it some gas and it finally turned back on and I had not service lights or codes. I have no idea what it could be????? Iv read the fuel pumps go bad on these pretty often. Any other ideas or thoughts on what it could be? Thanks

Sounds exactly like when my buddy's fuel pump went out in his '91. His pump quit completely randomly shortly after it started doing things like yours. Definitely R&R asap.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after it stalled out I got it home let it cool and cranked it and it started fine. I know the fuel pump can be tricky when it comes to wanting to start and not start

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also probably an unrelated thing but when I reach about a 1/4 tank my fuel gauge will flex from 1/4 to empty and everywhere in between randomly. It will jump all around but usually goes back to about 1/4 full when the truck is off. Could this be the fuel sending unit and would it be worth it to replace if I have to do the fuel pump?

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Fuel pump or ignition module. Either can cause intermittant stalling.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a way to test the ignition module? I'd really hate to replace one or the other and it be the opposite

Most auto parts stores can test them but usually they fail when they are warm. They are realitivly cheap, I would swap it out if there was any question about it.