1988 black betty k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88gmt400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so ive been tryin to start my build thread since i have started buildin my truck but i also seem to want to go work on my truck instead of be on the interweb. So here it is there wont be a picture of everything i have done while im doin it but there will be before and after pics for sure. I will add to this thread not everyday but pretty close to that.
I went lookin for a new truck two years ago and found my 88 k1500 with rebuilt tranny and 140,000 miles new tires and in not too bad of shape for $2200 so i jumped.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is how she looked when i got her after she got a bath. This is a good truck i thought could use some work but with havin a 5 year old and puttin my wife through school i wasnt worried about makin it mine or customizin it at that time!!!! This is a work truck as well i go get fire wood with it and pull fords out of ditches and recover little toyotas.
shes loaded down
Well after having her for a little while i got bored of her looks my wife got me camo seat cover steerin wheel cover floor mats and i bought a new head unit and two 12" kickers subs in a truck box put those behind the seat and bought four 4"x 6" kicker mids two for the dash and two for the pillars behind the doors.
So with all this i was still bored of it cause to look at it from outside the truck it looked borin.
bada bing problem solved!!!!

Well now i have this truck tore apart i took the bumpers off, grille, bed, headlights, taillights all of it. I started paintin it.

hood primed

tail gate after body work and needin some more primer

more wet sandin

all the pieces of the puzzle.

now the whole truck is wet sanded

Let me say my wife and little girl did help me do this and i am happy with it, this is my first time painting and doin body work and i think it has turned out well, now that i have said that if you seen the pic above that is the bed wet sanded and i decided to go black, i know what your sayin "WHAT THE &#*$ YOU WENT WITH BLACK ON YOUR FIRST PAINT JOB!!!! YOUR NUTS" and yes yes i am but i like the stealth look.
the bed after buffing and

this is hard to tell but its the hood after buffin and polishin.

tailgate after paint wetsand and buff

applyin bed liner to the rockers and fender flares!!!! I did get my head lights and tail lights yesterday but i dont have any pics of them yet. I am still tryin to figure out my bumper blueprints and lookin for a new chevy grille or atleast in better shape then mine, still need to do all the interior, i will be puttin leds in my gauges hvac controls dome light and tag lights, i have hid headlights led turns and tails.

UPDATE!!!!!! 9-23-13
so i dont have any pics of my truck with the bed liner on it and maskin tape off but after i took it off i found some bed liner on my paint ;( ughhhhh so i wetsanded the spots where bed liner had got at so tomorrow i will buff again and polish and wash and take pics and change oil in my and the wifes car so we will see where all that goes...

It has been a few days i have got a few updates..... i got the bed back on, did change the oil in the ol ladys car washed and waxed the truck painted the frame got the headlights wired up and cleaned up all the wiring in the frontm got the tail lights in but now i have more things i have my drivers door off goin to take the passenger door off tomorrow, want to replace the door hinges and bushings, also ripped out the seat, carpet, subs all that good junk and lookin at the dash and door panels man i hate these things so i called a buddy who owns the junkyard and lucky me he is goin to let me get all the interior parts out of a 97 hoe for 200 bucks damn what a steal. so saturday im gonna go look at it see it i can use the parts if they arent in terrible shape ill be gettin them. oh yea got my new grille in found out the damn differences in 88-93 grille compared to 94+, the corner lights will not interchange the bowties are different i believe and the way the lights sit in them all effin backwards so i called to see if i could exchange my brand damn new grille and they said NO, man was i pissed but when i settled down i realized he said you cant exchange but you can keep the grille and we will send you a 100% refund!!!!!! hell yea happy happy happy i was. now i am tryin to figure out what i will be doin with my cargo light my truck does not have the third brake light cargo combo its just a cargo so i will see still need to order my tow mirrors figure out what i want to do about my bumpers and go look at the hoe!!!!! damn what a list so tomorrow or the next day i will put up pics and explain what is in the pics if i can understand what my little girl and wife was takin a picture of...thanks guys

the frame before cleanin and paint

frame partially cleaned and painted with por 15 man got that stuff on my hands stayed on for three days atleast lol

and of course the interior tore half way to this weekend i will be pullin the dash all the way out and on friday i will pull the passenger door off
oh and this is in the process of usin phosphorac acid to clean the rust out of the floor boards it works good ill post the name of the stuff i used i got it from lowes for like 6 bucks a quart!!!!!!

here is the truck put back together i have to say i am very pleased with me and my wifes job on this it is our first paint job and her first body work ever we will be doin it again on other vehicles.

and certainly last but not least my 100% FREE brand damn new grille gloss black for an 88-93 i was gonna sell it but im gonna keep it and put it up just in case i need it!!!! there is more to come still tryin to figure my cargo lamp out and i need new u-bolts and redo some stuff on the front suspension.....cant wait to drive this mother again

UPDATE: 1/12/2014

its been awhile since i have updated on here, i have since got the truck on the road again and drivin for a few weeks, its been cold here and ive been tryin to wash and wax her today i finally got to do that.she is done for now but far from over i still want to do a SAS and 6.0 in this bad thing but im not lookin to fit 35s or 40s or nothin just want 285s or a little bigger i drive this truck everyday. well here is the pictures.

got some suds on her!!!!

after the bath and wax.

theres those and my all the pics in my sig my wife done.

Last edited: