XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Wow, that is the first failure I have heard about. I do wonder if you are correct about the headers causing the failure. For my truck I am still running OEM (or OEM type) manifolds.

I know on mine it has plenty of room.
You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of that happening on some square body forums to. They usually center it an weld it in place.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard of that happening on some square body forums to. They usually center it an weld it in place.

Yeah, I thought about doing that as it seems the natural fix but I didn't want to introduce any extra vibration into the steering wheel. That's the only dampening it's going to get in the entire assembly, at that rubber-filled joint.

Good (but bad) to hear others are having failures at that point, too. Means it's not just me, and others should watch out, especially if they're running headers.

Richard

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay guys me and my dad are about to do this to his truck but before i convince him to do it he always wants to know exactly how everything works. I completely understand how everything is going to work except for having to grind a flat spot on the steering column joint. Why exactly do you have to do this? Thanks in advance!

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
The notch is for the bolt that tights up the clamp of the upper joint to the steering shaft protruding from the firewall. When you look into the opening of the xj joint you will see why to notch and about how much to notch for the bolt.

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The notch is for the bolt that tights up the clamp of the upper joint to the steering shaft protruding from the firewall. When you look into the opening of the xj joint you will see why to notch and about how much to notch for the bolt.

That's exactly what I thought it was for but wasn't 100% sure so I just wanted to ask! Thanks for the fast reply man, I'll be updating when I get done with the swap!

Smoove

Reaction score
It is not connected to the body. It connects to the steering column after the column is bolted to the dash. Then it goes through a rubber dust boot. There is no extra support for that joint...

Edit: this is what the 97+ column looks like under the dash.

You must be registered for see images attach

See how there is no extra support anywhere for that added joint...

I have a 96 C1500 ext cab. Plate in the door is Canada 03/96
So how do I know if this is worn out? Pic ^^^^^^ Is there a fix if this is worn?
Is there a U-joint for this peice?
Is making solid rag-joints better or doing the XJ swap better?
My truck started it's life with a 305 and now has a 350 with summit headders.

I have read through this thread several times and I am not sure of the best option for the 96.

Is this worth the $200 and would it help?
http://www.supersteerparts.com/prod...ank-idler-arm-support-gm-1500-2500-trucks-suv