XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well dad got on here and was reading through everything and the first time he word the word "failure" he decided he was just going to replace his rag joint with a new rubber piece lol!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Seen good luck from a guy who machined a spacer out of steel. Or aluminum the same thickness and diameter of the rag joint. I thought it was in here somewhere.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

nrowensby

Reaction score
On the stock shaft, does the top and bottom sections just slide apart? ...or are they held together by something?

When replacing the lower section on 96+ with the lower section from 1500 van (u-joint) is it just a matter of sliding the old one off and sliding the new one on? Can this be done with the upper section still on the truck?

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the truck you're doing the mod on have the joint under the dash? If it does, you cant do the ujoint shaft. It appears that some 96s and 95s even have the joint under the dash.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this on my old blue 95, it had the joint under the dash. What i did was i had a piece of chromoly tube laying around, i slide it over the xj joint closest to the firewall and welded it so it made the joint solid, i had it on for over 25 miles on it before i traded it in with no problems.

stubborn0001

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of where they put their tack weld on the steering shaft? How did you guys go about notching the shaft so you could slide the bolt through?

mistaake

Reaction score
I should do this but how to tell if I have the additional joint that will make it not work, and I'm worried about failures, and I'll be doing a 3" BL in the future so I'm worried about that. I request free reassurances that everything will be OK prior to getting an XJ steering shaft :D

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Look under your steering column towards the floor. If you see a universal joint on the steering column towards the floor then that is the third joint that will cause problems using the xj steering shaft upgrade.

mistaake

Reaction score
Look under your steering column towards the floor. If you see a universal joint on the steering column towards the floor then that is the third joint that will cause problems using the xj steering shaft upgrade.

from inside the truck or from under the hood? thanks