Wow, didn't think it would be that much to repaint my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, paint is not cheap, nor is labor. Even if you can do it yourself, buying the materials, it hurts. To completely refinish my truck, I was over the $1300 mark in materials alone.... and I get them for the same cost as the shops, as I have been buying paints and panels from the one local shop for 2 decades.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
That's seems pretty high that seems like a good price for a color change but for the same color 3-4k I've gotten quotes for

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a quote done on my hood and passenger doors. The hood for pitting and the doors for clear coat on the tops, just above the windows. The cost for those three items was $2k. The guy told me about $6k for the entire truck, same color.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I had my box painted on my old truck for 500

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
When I had the hood and nose piece painted on my 86 SS 5 years ago it cost me $1300. Getting a bed painted for $500 is cheap!

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$7000 is outrageous, I paint on the side and at most I charge is $2500-$3000 for a whole truck. $500 covers materials. Just because it doesn't say DuPont and isn't outrageous priced doesn't mean its not any good.

There is a shop around here that charges 16k-20k for paint jobs mostly on older cars and I laugh at the quality everytime I see one. Hell the shop owners car looks horrible, the stripes are all blotchy and are not even straight.

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
Agree with the $7k price. I've been in the body shop for 35 years. Material and labor costs are not what they used to be and it is a big time job to do a base/clear overall on a truck that's peeling already.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
I went to my local paint and body shop just to get an idea of what it will cost to repaint my truck. For the original color, they said around $7000

He explained that they take everything off and apart, not just paint the outside. And they guarantee/warranty the job also. I know that's a lot of work but is $7000 a lot to pay or is that a pretty average price?

lol, for a shop that's cheap. For a side job it better look like glass.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Yeah, he said its not worth it. And not to waste my money on a paint job unless it had some sentimentle value and Im never going to sell it.

He said that it it was his truck, he'd just clean it up and drive it or do a quick flat/satin black with gloss Z71 emblems and stripes

I'd like it to just be all one color and not gloss, flat and peeling.

When they start talking like that it's because they don't want the job. $7k is beyond silly unless you have a lot of body work. Find another shop that wants the work and get another quote. IMO