Recreating my highschool truck, the way I always wanted it to be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back in high school, I had a 1989 Silverado. It was a red and silver regular cab short bed. It had some minor valve work, a "performance chip" and a shift kit in the transmission. Dual glasspack exhaust, and 15x10 wheels! I wanted to be the fastest truck in town! Unfortunately i was still in highschool and didn't have the money, or knowledge to make it what I wanted it to be.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ended up selling it, and moving on. For years now, since I've gotten older and have a little better income, I have wanted to go back, find another one, and build it how I always wanted to.

I finally have that opportunity!!

Here is my 1989 regular cab fleet side sport model!

I have some BIG plans for her, including a repaint to match the old theme. Shooting for around 400hp, and I am planning to do a modernized version of the popular styling from the 90s. 17in rims instead of 15in, tucked tires instead of out past the fenders, etc.

The interior also needs some love, but I have already sourced a few items to get it looking good again.

I also have a Youtube channel where I will be documenting the progress, if you guys want to subscribe and follow along!!

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SO far I have been concentrating on the safety, functionality, and minor visual items. The truck is 34 years old but only has 133K miles! It needs some love but is mostly in really good shape!

So far I have gotten the A/C working, replaced the fog light assemblies, replaced the tires, reinstalled the rear view mirror, and added a set of drop shackles to get her sitting level. I got new tail lights, and some cheap floor mats.

On order I have a new radio, along with the support items to install that, and a new antenna. I also sourced a seatbelt buckle (my drivers side was broke). I have a full rebuild kit coming for the steering, and a replacement console since the bolt holes on mine are broke.

I am also sourcing a shop to do the pinion seal, output shaft seal, and diff cover gasket. The pinion is leaking really bad.

The window tint guy is scheduled for Monday of next week!

The biggest item, interior wise, is the drivers seat base. Its pretty rough, and these low back buckets are not the easiest to source. I may end up with a race style seat eventually anyway.

Last edited:

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My future plans are to get it repainted to the red/silver theme, and sitting right on some 17in wheels tucked in under a mild drop. This truck is kind of the look I am going for, minus the splitter on the front lip, and with the silver center section.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine plans are still up in the air. I don't have a ton of experience, but I do have the collective knowledge of the internet!

preliminary plans include:
Holly sniper system
Single plane carb intake
Matching cam/head kit
Roller rockers
Roller lifters
High amp ignition
60psi Fuel pump and regulator with 3/8id fuel line
Headers
High flow cats
Cat back stainless exhaust with dual tips

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Visually, it will be mostly the repaint. I also plan on a cowl hood, some nice wheels, and drop, spray bed liner and a cover. I like with whicker bill type spoiler, but it all depends on what bed cover i can source. It seems everyone that made the super low profile ones are not in business anymore.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a wicked project you have planned. I have the same sort of plan for my 91. Had the truck since 96, graduated high school in 94. Wanna make it pretty much like the trucks I drooled over in the mags and seen running around town. I still remember being in awe the first time I saw a set of 17"s on one!!!
Keep the updates coming, and I'll definitely check the channel.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a wicked project you have planned. I have the same sort of plan for my 91. Had the truck since 96, graduated high school in 94. Wanna make it pretty much like the trucks I drooled over in the mags and seen running around town. I still remember being in awe the first time I saw a set of 17"s on one!!!
Keep the updates coming, and I'll definitely check the channel.
I wasn't born until 96 and hated "sport" trucks until I was like 8 or 9 when my mom bought the 96 stepside that I currently own. It was the first that grabbed my attention. Billet grille, 15x10 baby billets, crystal headlights and corner lights, and drop shackles in the rear. Not long after that, my dad bought the 94 that I also own now. My love for sport trucks blew up from there. Had no idea that I'd ever have the opportunity to own either one of these, let alone both of them! Both are going to stay mostly '90s/early '00s style with some modern touches.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next round of updates is uploading now!

got the radio installed, the tierod kit done, and installed some new window seals. The console I got didn't fit, and the seatbelt latch sticks. oh well.

A seat is on its way, along with some speakers to compliment the new head unit.

what should I tackle next? I think the exhaust would be pretty strait forward.
Long tubes, high flow cats (or none?) and a cat back flowmaster setup or something.
dual tips for sure!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media