Worth saving???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you are in for a lot of work, but that being said it sounds like the truck is sentimental as well as you know the whole history which is sometimes worth a lot. I think since you have a solid truck you should try it and see how it goes. Even if it lasts another 5-7 years at that point maybe you can look for a clean one from another state.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
There you go! Whats to lose, right.

That is going to be a lot of work though! This is coming from somebody that tried exactly what your going to be doing this summer. I am down to just needing the final layer of paint (this weekend) then some wet sanding and polishing and mine will be finally done.

I'll make a thread about it when I'm actually done but I thought I could realistically get it done in less than a month of weekends and after work but instead it took all freeking summer. And I cut a few corners that I wouldn't have if it was anything more than an experiment doing body work for the first time.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yah, I work in the pretreatment business developing cleaner & pretreatment systems. Studying the how & why of rust is life for me. That is also why I recommend finding a clean car. Rusty stuff just fights you every chance it can..
Not sure what kind of coatings you deal with, sounds interesting, but some of these automotive coatings and phosphoric rust treatments do very little other then putting a coating on top of the rust. If you scrape them off or sand through them there's still rust. Maybe they help, but blasting or replacing to the end of the rust seems to be the best, for me, solution. Some can cause adhesion problems if not neutralized properly.

Wipe it down with phosphoric metal prep to remove flash rust, then neutralize with water. Ok, I'm right back where I started lol

Ledzep

Reaction score
Hey Richlo, so tell me, was it worth it now that u are almost done???

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of coatings you deal with, sounds interesting, but some of these automotive coatings and phosphoric rust treatments do very little other then putting a coating on top of the rust. If you scrape them off or sand through them there's still rust. Maybe they help, but blasting or replacing to the end of the rust seems to be the best, for me, solution. Some can cause adhesion problems if not neutralized properly.

Wipe it down with phosphoric metal prep to remove flash rust, then neutralize with water. Ok, I'm right back where I started lol

We deal with making a car baby lol. So right as the car is being stamped & constructed, we sell the pretreatment the bodies are dipped into and treated with; Zinc Phosphate & now thin film zirconium technology. In my mind, nothing was as good as the old Zinc Phosphate from the the late 80's up until the early 90's. The Ecoat which went over that layer was also better- had lead in it.

That's just it, if you're sanding stuff down to bare steel, you're already at a disadvantage. The doors, fender & bedsides were galvanized, which is just a fancy way to say they've got a layer of sacrificial zinc on top of the steel which helps slow corrosion down when it does start. If you've ever seen those Mercedes Sprinter vans, you'll know why it's important. Those things seem to rot right from the dealer lot, least the early ones did. Seem to be steel bodies only. So a homebrew repair on old sheet metal where someone has grinded away all the rust and such, slathered on filler or welded in patch metal, that is going to rot right out if exposed to elements. There's no waterbreak free cleaning, no awesome phosphate, no zinc and no ecoat.. At best, just some crappy 1455W wipes, primer surfacer, primer sealer, basecoat and clearcoat.. The paint sold to OEM's had to meet strict standards. The **** sold to aftermarket jobbers & paint shops doesn't have to meet anything, except color. Something to keep in mind..

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Hey Richlo, so tell me, was it worth it now that u are almost done???

Yes it was.

Some background though, I went into this project with the soul intent to learn something that I have never done before on a truck that didn't matter how it came out (Its my yard truck AKA big wheelbarrow). I had no experience with body work before and I did learn A LOT while doing this.

The whole project cost about $200 in consumables (primer, paint, body filler, 3M PPS bladders and accu-spray nozzles, etc). I am not counting the tools I bought because they are re-useable.

How deep in do you think you want to go with it? Just replacing the sheet metal then hand it off to a body shop? Or do you want to attempt to go all the way to painting yourself??

Ledzep

Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys, dont think I'm going to use actual paint at all. Prime ofcourse, Might even slap some rinoliner or something like that on the whole lower sides. The truck is getting old but want to keep it for say 5-7 years. Not sure, like I said, not a body guy and dont pretend or want to be one. I'll do powertrain diag and R and R all day. Good body guys are hard to find and deserve to be paid well. If I can do this somewhat ok, I'll be happy.i had drivers side cab corner done about 5 years ago at a body shop and looks like dog **** already. Derek is probably right about metal prep so guess I wont get my Hope's up for keeping it forever

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rust work tends to explode. The deeper you go the further you have to go.

That being said, the aftermarket parts are not 100%. Cab corners don't fit quite right. Generally the material of the parts are not the same thickness. The aftermarket lower door skins are generally too long lengthwise.

Do-able but it's fair amount of work.
Pay very close attention to the first sentence.