wiring of the low beam light with hids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matsh

Reaction score
hi guys. have bought projectors from theretrofitsource.com and modified my headlamps to fit those projectors called fx-r awesome light output with this projectors and 55w hid kit.

i got one problem with my setup.
low beam light no problem, but when i turn on full beam my low beam flicker for 0.5 sec and then sometimes one of the lamps will die.

on these cars do the low beam stay on with full beams or do they normally turn off?
seams when i change from low to full it stops the power for the lows a moment just when i pull the switch.

any other that has this problem ? how can i get it to not flicker when i switch from low to highs..
all hid bulbs is wired with their own reel with thick cable. so no problem with that. just the low beam signal from the truck that is doing this.
some pictures.

low beam )
You must be registered for see images attach

full beam
also go 55w hits in all the hella 3003 compact lamps with 37.5 %

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I had this happen on an '03 model, exactly as you state. It was the dimmer switch going out on mine, because if you slowly pulled lever to click over to high, it would sometimes not fully catch or engage and either go back to Lo or a few times it would cut off all lighting and scare the **** outta me. Pulling on the lever fast(like normal) would mostly solve the issue but at times it also wouldn't click over and just stay on Lo(or Hi, depending when it happened). I don't know if this is what's wrong with your's, but it definitely sounds like bad contacts in a switch.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
The lo's turn off when the brights are turned on. Mean Green sell's a kit that will make all 4 lights stay on at the same time. My HID's flicker when I first turn them on but not when I switch back and forth.

matsh

Reaction score
my lows have always stayed on both on low and high. maybe some pre owner of the car has made a mod so it would do his. can't se anything not stock down at the headlights, maybe the mod is done another place. or it came like this from factory, don't know.
could be the switch that is doing this problem. will test tonight to pull the low/high beam switch both slow and fast and se if that has an affect on the little power break to the low beam just when i do the switch

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem could possibly have something to do with the way the previous owner did the 4-HI Mod. Pull out your passenger side parking light and/or headlight and follow the wires and see if you find a relay mounted somewhere or possibly a diode (some people have tried to do the 4-hi mod with a diode, but usually have poor results as it is dangerious). Also with the amount of HID's your running, how is your headlights wired? I assume your not using the stock harness. If you are, that could be part of the problem also. As Mobs said, the switch itself could be starting to fail and can act up like that as well!

matsh

Reaction score
each hid lamp has its own 25ah relay with fuse. just used the stock wiring for signal to the relays.

the stock lights hardest seams stock. don't looks that anybody has made an mod to it. i will check one more time to be shure.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Only other thing I can think of is if where all the wires tie in at the battery(or whatever 12volt source they're hooked to), if they're all hooked into a single O-ring(or whatever connector was used), the power draw could be too much for that actual connector. I've seen similar instances where a large gauge wire was crammed into a connector barely big enough to hold it and on top of that the connector being steel or some material that's not a good conductor, thus making the connector the bottleneck. I would say the connector should probably be one of the gold-plated battery terminals with the multiple wire hookups, that's able to deliver alot more instant current than an O-ring. Just something to think about for future upgrades.