wiring lights help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so i need some help with wiring. i put some fog lights in my bumper and some under the back bumper. i wired them the first time with out relay and it worked for a lil while then blew fuses so i redid it with relay and the relay clicks when switch is turned but the lights dont light up. i can get the lights to work if i unplug them from relay and touch to battery. i hooked it up like from the diagrams found online so idk what im doing wrong. i just suck at wiring. also did cab lights today and only the ouside 2 work and still need to figure out whre to tap into parking lights. any help would be realy appreciated. im gettin so annoying with wiring i just want them all to work.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to have to be MUCH more specific for us to help you.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay sorry.. i have the wire comming from the front fog lights plugged into 87 on relay. the wire going from 30 to the aux post on drivers side fuse box under hood. 85 is grouded to the screw i screwd relay in with and the 86 goes to the swtich in the dash.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds ok assuming you have a 4 pin and you got the right numbers. If something it isnt working, then something stupid is wrong. If you used a relay harness and didnt just rig something up, then ring out each lead. You should have VERY close to if not 0 resistance on the ground pin to ground elsewhere on the truck. You should be able to put a small piece of wire between the power and the lights and have them come on. If those two tests pass, take a voltage reading on the "switch" pin with the switch both on and off. Make sure you are getting the right juice.

A side note:
I would recommend putting a fuze in line between the aux post and the relay. That will protect your relay from burning up itself or the lights.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
another stupid thought..... get either some dielectric grease or petroleum jelly (vasoline) and slather it into the connectors and try it out again. The relay might not be sitting propperly.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can hear the relay click when you turn on the switch. So unplug the light and turn on the switch and check term. 87 and ground for 12 volts. If it's not there check 30 and ground. If it's there and not on 87 you likely have a bad relay. If it's not in either place check where you have it in the aux. box.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
havent gotten to mess with it. we wired lights on the roof of my friends blazer and they didnt work but he did bad ground so his dad soldered all the grounds to one wire and we grounded to where relay was and it works now. could my ground be my problem? i tried to wiggle the ground but still nothing. but if i power directly from batter they light up. im going to see if i hookd everything up right tomorrow