Will Bilstein 5100 fit on a stock height Z71 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a 2000 Z71 Tahoe and need to replace the shocks. I've always loved the 5100's and would like to get a set. The only ones I see listed are for "4-6" of lift"

Anyone installed a set on a stock height 4WD Tahoe?

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to get the 4600 series. 5100's will bottom out and blow out.

Got it. How does everyone like the 4600's? I'm trying to not make the ride any stiffer. Truck currently has 10 year old Monroe's on it.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Got it. How does everyone like the 4600's? I'm trying to not make the ride any stiffer. Truck currently has 10 year old Monroe's on it.

I just removed 4600's off my truck, but haven't compared them to the 5100s yet (as I don't have my truck back on the road yet). But, the 4600's are stiff - in my suburban, it was like riding in a tank.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just removed 4600's off my truck, but haven't compared them to the 5100s yet (as I don't have my truck back on the road yet). But, the 4600's are stiff - in my suburban, it was like riding in a tank.

Exactly what I'm trying to avoid and I've experienced the same when using 4600's on other vehicles. Damnit I wish they made a 5100 for stock height trucks!! Guess I need to start looking at Monroe's.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
4600s too stiff? What?? I run them on both of my trucks and they're very comfortable. Not much difference from my factory shocks at all.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that 4600s are actually stiffer then 5100s - from what I can gather on the ole interwebs.
But yeah, the 4600s that just came off my burb, which are still good from what I can tell, are very stiff.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just googled around a little, I mistakenly thought that the 4600 series was specifically the HDs. Turns out the 4600 series can apply to Bilstein HDs or their Comfort series depending on part number. Same shocks, different valving. I run the HDs, which are the stiffer variety and came stock on Z71s. Even those feel pretty soft to me. I'd imagine the Comfort series are quite a bit softer. Check out eshocks.com for the best prices, they've got all the applicable part numbers listed as well.

Z71SE, like I said, the Bilstein 4600 HDs actually ARE your OEM shocks. GM put them on the Z71s from the factory. If you want to retain your factory ride, go with HDs. If you want it even softer than factory, go with the Comfort series.

99Subourbon, I really don't understand how you thought they were too stiff. I mean different strokes I guess, but the HDs I run are damn near brand new and they're super comfy. Did you have your front end cranked while you ran them? That single handedly kills ride quality worse than anything on a 4WD GMT400 in my experience.

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Just googled around a little, I mistakenly thought that the 4600 series was specifically the HDs. Turns out the 4600 series can apply to Bilstein HDs or their Comfort series depending on part number. Same shocks, different valving. I run the HDs, which are the stiffer variety and came stock on Z71s. Even those feel pretty soft to me. I'd imagine the Comfort series are quite a bit softer. Check out eshocks.com for the best prices, they've got all the applicable part numbers listed as well.

Z71SE, like I said, the Bilstein 4600 HDs actually ARE your OEM shocks. GM put them on the Z71s from the factory. If you want to retain your factory ride, go with HDs. If you want it even softer than factory, go with the Comfort series.

99Subourbon, I really don't understand how you thought they were too stiff. I mean different strokes I guess, but the HDs I run are damn near brand new and they're super comfy. Did you have your front end cranked while you ran them? That single handedly kills ride quality worse than anything on a 4WD GMT400 in my experience.

I am cranked, to be level with 1.5" blocks in the back - so that could be it.