Will a superduty axle work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Linking is not hard, it is time consuming and assuming you have some fabrication skills, it's very easy. I am finding that I have to make all my own brackets and heavily modify the ones I though would just be weld in and go.

I seriously considered 4 linking my truck, the problem I was having is I was too much horrizontal seperation at the axle on the upper links or the links would be too short and angle too acute. Also my links would have had to hang pretty low under the frame in teh rear and at the axles to maintain enough vertical seperation and still allow the links to clear "stuff" (oil pan, starter, exhaust etc..)

I ended up going with a modified radius arm, In my experience, this type of link will offer a lot more stability while driving since radius arms, by design will limit axle movement (flex) Mind you, my truck is used mostly as a DD and tow pig. off roading is limited to class 6 roads and out on the beach.

I recently picked up a D60. it needs a complete rebuild and re-gear and I simply do not want to invest the money into that right now so I am finishing up the build with the d44, but when I get the 60 in, I am very much considering switching to a 3 link. 3 link suspensions, assuming you set it up properly, is just as strong as a 4 link.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that shoots a whole in the jeep axle plan then, back to the drawing board. Really like the super duty axles from the pirate build gonna keep an eye out for some. He said something on that build about avoiding the d50 axles in the earlier powerstrokes anyone know a certain reason and I noticed he was running what he was calling a raised knuckle, are those in other words flat tops that had been machined or what and are the d50s the same style knuckle. Sorry im fairly axle iliterate unless its the oldschool king pin 60s but a for axle would work so.much easier as I wouldnt have to swap transfer cases.

In my first page post, I detailed some of the draw backs of the D50, to sum it up, it is basically a D44 R&P with D60 outers.

shrekmoose

Reaction score
Thanks jps I went back and reread it the d50 doesnt seem like a to bad of choice if its found fairly cheep. Like said before d44 strength isnt a huge downside to me dont plan on running anything over 35s or so and will be mainly used to haul 4wheelers with and get In and out of where we hunt itwit will be used as a truck but now a trail truck. Would really like to score a matching set with the sterling rear as I like the idea of it already having discs. Any ideas what common gears were in these would love them to be geared nice and low already truck doesnt see much jnterstate at all but would be nice when pulling something heavy.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To give you an idea of what to expect from a D50, flatbill diesel nut swingers are grabbing these trucks with heavy 7.3L diesels, lifting them to the sky with 37"+ tires and 500 pounds of cattle killer bumpers with out too much issue. Ball Joints and unit bearings will require more regular service, but if you do as you state, 35" tires and street driving, I wouldn not worry one bit of a D50 over a D60

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
It's been listed off and on the local CL for about 3 months now. I wanna say he originally wanted about 4K. But I agree, that's a sweet price for what you'd be getting. If only I could afford it. It's only 40 minutes away from me to :/.