Will a superduty axle work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrekmoose

Reaction score
I have a 92 ecsb 4x4 i have been throwing around and researching an sas for about 2 years for now. Finally got to looking under the front of the truck and kinda putting 2 and 2 together and noticed my frame was bent. Where the factory tow hooks mount inside the front of the frame it looks like someone before me ran into something with the tow hook and bent the bottom of the frame rail up some. Its not bad compared to the other side i would say its bent maybe .25 inch give or take. Now the problem is my plan was to use factory hangers for the front hangers welded to the bottom of my frame and a crossmember to support the front end. I would assume I couldnt use that now because of the bend but what about using a supperduty axle with the wider spring perch widths that way my hangers would be on the outside of the frame rails hence the tweak may not matter. What other problem may I run into doing it this way? Is there anyone with a build thread with a supperduty ale I can get some ideas from, I cant find one to save my life but I see the idea thrown around alot.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
99+ super duties..

F250 was leafsprung then switched to coils and radius arms. The F250 is a D50, unit bearing axle. not a bad axle, aftermarket is embracing them more and more. Kinda smallish pinion and the inner shafts neck down to about D44 diameter. The outers are pretty much identifcal to the D60's of that era, 35 spline outers (switched in 04 or 05 and later at least)large D60 u-joints and larger brakes. The ball joints do not leave much to be desired, assuming your not going over 35-36" tire on a heavy full size rig, the axle should live a happy life. Also the diff is very far to the drivers side so mounting bracketry can be difficult.

F350 are all leafsprung axles, pretty much the same as above but 60 center.

I would get the matching stearling rear unless you already have a FF14 bolt. Switching the rear to the metric bolt pattern will be easier than changing the front. the 14 bolt is a couple inches narrower so some conversion spacers would work nicely. I am seeing more and more of these axles ending up in small buggies since they are becoming more and more plentiful but I can only recall one build on some forum where these axles were put into a gmt 400. I'll look for it.

97 and earlier superduties are ball joint D60 front and sterling rear with a traditional 8 lug pattern. Leaf sprung front with a far offset drivers diff. more than enough info about putting these axles into gmt 400's

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I will say for F250's that mid-02 they stopped using the 50's and 02.5+ are Dana 60's. I has one.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be, I thought the switch was 04 or 05 with the 7.3-6.0 switch, but probably earlier. I tend to avoid Fords unless they are in pieces or being parted out.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Could be, I thought the switch was 04 or 05 with the 7.3-6.0 switch, but probably earlier. I tend to avoid Fords unless they are in pieces or being parted out.

03.5 was the 7.3-6.0 switch. I'd agree that if you are going to do this get a matching Sterling rear.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda of upset I missed a whole 08 F250 Rolling Frames for $700

shrekmoose

Reaction score
Well I would rather not use the superduty just for the simple fact there arent as many build threads on them and the like. I have accses to an axle from an old full size jeep with flat tops alreaxy on both sides but 1 its spring under so I would have to change that and idk what to do about the frame being bend a little where my hangers would mount. Any info on this jeep axle its 8 lug and pass side drop all I know about it right now.. this isnt going to be an offroad build will be used to look good and haul my 4wheeler around in the back mostly, may be put in 4x4 to get through a muddy field to the camper where ill unload my 4wheeler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf