Will a Chevy 400 be able to replace a 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ljsilvers

Reaction score
Will a Chevy 400 short or long block be able to replace a 350? I used search several times and didn't see an answer. :( I want to keep all my stock 1993 k1500 under hood and front drivetrain and suspension. Arent the dipstick and/or the oil filter reversed on the 400 from the 350, 305? I know about the steam holes done that work in the past when I was young and had money to blow. Looking for cheap Tq gains and some extra Hp won't be bad either.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You are better off with a descent cam and a set of vortec heads (technically still stock gm parts) with an aftermarket intake and a modded throttle body. That's going to be your best bang for buck work under the hood.

I was never a big 400 fan to begin with.

ljsilvers

Reaction score
Thanks. I was planing on all that you said but on a 400(to save cash) over a 383 kit. But lower mileage 400 seem to hard to find and not as cheap as I remember.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was never a big 400 fan to begin with.

Ever drive a 60's-70's GM A-body car with one? I can tell you it's pretty fun, torque monster. :lol:

EDIT - To clarify, the 400 small block. Never had any personal experience with the 402 big block.

Thanks. I was planing on all that you said but on a 400(to save cash) over a 383 kit. But lower mileage 400 seem to hard to find and not as cheap as I remember.

Seconding this, a lot of the 400 stuff I've seen is way pricier/harder to find than 350 parts. Pretty sure they were made for a much shorter time than the 350s.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score

Yeah, when I read your first post, I assumed you had a 400 ready to go. If that's not the case, it's not going to be worth it IMO. Not these days.

Maybe look into building a 383 or swapping in an LS.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Also need to remember, a small block 400 is a internally balanced motor and the 350 is externally. Meaning you will need to find a new flywheel. Plus the heads won't be interchangeable. 400 head's need steam holes drilled in them to match the block. Otherwise it will overheat.

ljsilvers

Reaction score
Yup the steam holes, was going to have done with the head work. But I'm too cheap to spend what they want for a bare rebuildable long block. 25 years ago a low mileage 400 was less than a rebuildable 305 core. Still wondering about if GM swithed sides for the dipstick. Years ago my friend did this swap in a 1980's caprice and when it was all done there was no place for the dipstick. But I don't remember why???

Last edited:

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
My 305 dip stick is on the drivers side. My 350 dipstick is on the passenger side. Both oil filters are on the drivers side. I have no experience with the 400's.