Why is my shop so reluctant to do a 10 bolt to 14 bolt swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I own a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 ECSB Z71 with the Vortec 5700

I just got off the phone with a Buick/GMC dealer that I go to whenever my truck needs repairs that I can't do myself. I've wanted to do a 10 bolt to 14 bolt swap and I found a donor truck in KS that I'm interested in. I gave the dealer the VIN number of the donor truck and they matched it up with my VIN. I got a call back saying that the rear ends didn't match (obviously) and I told them that I was expecting that and all they'll need for the swap is 2500/3500 U bolts, 2500/3500 U bolt plates, and a conversion U joint. They seemed a bit reluctant but willing to do it bc I was supplying all the parts. I got another call shortly later from the parts guy. He told me that they normally don't do swaps like this bc its "custom" but bc I've been a good and competent customer, they'd be willing to do this swap if I go over there and show him all the parts I have. I'm not sure why they're so concerned about this bc a 14 bolt rear axle was an option on the 1/2 tons and my donor truck is a 1996 Chevrolet K1500 ECSB 4x4 with a Vortec 5700. From what I've read on here, this shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know why they're being so reluctant?

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because if either you or they don't know every detail, the job will get more expensive and somebody will be angry. Liability is also an issue with 'custom' jobs. Also if it's a used axle they can't guarantee it beyond the parking lot. As stated, they're only doing it as a favor as good customer service. I'm sure they'd simply decline for someone less well known.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, if it was a locally owned shop they might be more willing to do it depending on how busy they are with other jobs. No matter what you'll still probably have to sign the right waiver to void the shop of any liabilities since its 'custom' with used parts and customer supplied parts.

Why not just do it yourself? Its literally one of the easiest upgrades you can do unless your doing it in the rain on a Tuesday after work in an apartment complex parking jot.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because if either you or they don't know every detail, the job will get more expensive and somebody will be angry. Liability is also an issue with 'custom' jobs. Also if it's a used axle they can't guarantee it beyond the parking lot. As stated, they're only doing it as a favor as good customer service. I'm sure they'd simply decline for someone less well known.

That's what the parts guy told me. He said that they're only agreeing to this swap bc I've been such a good customer who's put the time and effort into helping them with this truck before. I'm surprised that this is considered "custom" bc 14 bolt rear axles were an option on 1/2 tons and this axle is coming off another 1/2 ton.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, if it was a locally owned shop they might be more willing to do it depending on how busy they are with other jobs. No matter what you'll still probably have to sign the right waiver to void the shop of any liabilities since its 'custom' with used parts and customer supplied parts.

Why not just do it yourself? Its literally one of the easiest upgrades you can do unless your doing it in the rain on a Tuesday after work in an apartment complex parking jot.

That's what they told me already. I have to pay and there's no guarantee that it'll work (I'm positive it will, they're more worried than I am). I'm willing to take the chance though bc so may others here have done it before.

The only reason why I'm not doing this myself is bc I can barely fit my truck in the driveway as is. Every salvage yard I've called also won't ship to residential addresses either so I'm kind of stuck with hope, prayers, and anxiety.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s not taking a chance, it is literally coming out of a ECSB just like yours.

By "chance" I mean the chance that this won't work (Their words not mine, 99% sure it will according to everyone here). This shop I go to tends to worry too much but always gives me quality work. It's why I keep coming back to them and they respect me for that. The biggest concern for me rn is the U joint. I have several sizes ordered just to make sure and the only reason I didn't go with the driveshaft off the truck was bc it was already sold off.