Whine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radicom56

Reaction score
i have a whining sound that is proportional to rpm and it is definitely coming from the tranny. is there anything in the transmission that could cause this sound. it is good on fluid and i am sure the transmission is where it is coming from

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Mine's good on fluid as well, I don't know what it is, seems like everything is working how it should.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
So, I figured out that it was coming from the amp that is getting interference with the alternator. I was talking to my Dad and he said something about a noise filter that goes on the Amp? Anyone know what I am talking about who can explain some more?

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked the alternator? My truck had these EXACT symptoms 2 weeks ago with the same type of sound. Pull the belt off the alternator and spin the pulley on the front of it. You will hear a squeaking sound if it is the alternator.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I have had a whine caused by radio, If you turn it off does it go away? alternator is possible, my truck has a whining steering box, not the steering pump, took my about 30 min probing with a stethescope to find it, because i could barely hear it under the hood compared to inside. Could also be the trans.. usually they dont whine at idle though.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I disconnected any power to the AMP and it went away, so not the Alternator or the stereo, I've tried completely turning off the head unit before and it did not work.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It could also be your amp's power wire picking up static bleeding off your spark plug wires. You can check your engine-to-frame, engine-to-body grounds for corrosion or deterioration, or just missing connections haha, those grounds being faulty can cause static buildup in the engine. It can also be the static bleed-off on your coil....clamp a jumper cable to the bracket surrounding your coil's primary and clamp the other end to your negative post on battery, see if that lowers the sound any.

Back in the day, noise filters were more common due to the older points ignition vehicles because there usually wasn't alot of protection against static/electricity bleed-off, that would find it's way into the headunit one way or another, either by the power wire or by the antenna cable.