Whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not me, my axle I think!

My truck has developed a whine type of noise, I figured it was the diff but it feels cool to the touch after a moderate drive but it definately soundsa like it's coming from the rear. The pinion bearing feels solid and there is no leaking from the diff. I checked the fluid level and it seems to be about a good inch or more below the fill plug and kinda dark grey in colour. Is this too low and could low/old oil cause a whineing noise?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Too low of oil is hard on the bearings. Especially the outers. I'd change the oil, instead of just topping it up. Check for flakes. In the oil, not your daughter's boyfriend!

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Low oil was the problem after all, I added 1L of oil that I had left over in the shed as a trial and the whine is almost gone, there was still room for more oil so maybe even more will make it go entirely away. If it needs a rebuild that'll just be my excuse to go find a dually axle though. I can't see where it went though, the diff looks dry all around. Maybe now that there's more oil I'll see the leak.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
You might as well just take the cover off, spray the gears all to hell with brakeleen or carb cleaner, check your ring gear and spider gears, carrier bearings, scrape off your old gasket, squeeze a new one on, then fill it up with fluid until it runs out of the hole. Then you will be good to go.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the plan, just thought I'd test it out by throwing some extra oil in there for the time being.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, once you let it get low enuff that the bearings start talking then it should really get a flush done. 14 bolt full float fully rebuilt and the matching 10 bolt front? Sounds like that would cost me a bundle to ship it hahahaha.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try half of that, 2wd! As much as I'd like a 4x4, they are hard to come by in crew cab long box in a 1 ton

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I had the 4dr K3500 suburban dually. Bought it cuz it looked cool, came with the NP203 awd tcase, manual front hubs, and before it got to the house it already had brand new co-op grip spurs on it :evillol:

Looking back, they've made some strange vehicles that were just krazy kool.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good news, the gears and bearings are all intact and look good, very little of anything on the magnet. I gotta let the gasket cure then I'll re-fill it in the morning