Whine When Radio On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this funny issue with my truck; when I turn the radio on I get this high pitched whine out of the speakers that matches the engine revs so it is really annoying. I think I read up before that someone had a similar issue and it ended up being a worn distributor causing interference.

Bought the truck with 76000 original a year ago and the radio whined then too, but it seems to be a bit louder now. Truck has about 78500 now.\

any ideas?

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue, but it's intermittent. Some days it's loud, some days I can't hear it.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has an aftermarket system
Then the power cable following the RCA jacks will transfer a signal into the speakers

It’s best to run power to the amp from one side of the truck (like passenger) then run the RCA jacks on the drivers side

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats hilarious skylark. only time i have ever had this issue was with cheap RCA wires and ran them next to power cable for amp. deffinatley seperate if thats your case. other than that check grounds and insulation on wiring

Disney

Reaction score
My 94 did that too. Changed everything in the ignition system with no improvement at all. Eventually LS swapped the truck and now it's gone. Sounds drastic, but hey... It's fixed!!!

Blue_C1500

Reaction score
If it is a stock radio check your grounds. They cheesy braided ground isn't very good so you could run a good one from the block to the body & another on to the negative on the battery. If it's an after market radio with an amp, it could be the pico fuse inside the radio. Pioneer radios are famous for this but I have seen it on Kenwood and Sony too. If that's the case the easiest fix is to ground the outside of the RCAs like in this pic.

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/644225.jpg

Rtlngr2

Reaction score
I've run into this on many of our fleet vehicles with the Vortecs. Weather it was the 5.7's in the full size trucks or even the 4.3's in the s- series trucks. We found that it would happen more when broadcasting over our hand held communication radios. What we found was that when we could here the whine it was time to change the cap and rotor. Sounds strange but we would change them and the noise would go away. If we ignored it, later on in time we would actually have crank no start condition.