While the intake is off...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QuickOrange

Reaction score
I'm removing the intake manifold to replace the gaskets, and was wondering if there was anything I should do while I'm in there. I was thinking about pulling the valve covers to take a look see- perhaps a valve adjustment? I read the thread concerning this and will likely do the cap replacement as suggested.

Thanks!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
any valve train noise? if not, dont touch it. infect dont do anything under there, except maybe clean it up.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
knocking, pinging, clanking, if your motor sounds smooth to you then its probably fine, if your still concerned take a video with sound of course of your motor running, specifically right after a cold crank to listen for stuck lifters, ect.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not bother with valve adjustment, wait until it's back together and running, then do a running valve adjustment. That always works best for me. everytime I've done it by the book with it not running it was always off, too tight or too loose or something. I always had to go back and redo it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not bother with valve adjustment, wait until it's back together and running, then do a running valve adjustment. That always works best for me. everytime I've done it by the book with it not running it was always off, too tight or too loose or something. I always had to go back and redo it.

:word: I like running adjustments as well, I typically do a 'by the book' one to get it in the right area, then a running adjustment to fine tune it. but thats only like if I have to remove the heads or something. the valves typically don't go out of adjustment after they have been set. fastorange is correct, if there isn't any noise or issues, don't mess with it. just do a good inspection with the intake off, clean stuff up (especially the intake), and you should be good.

QuickOrange

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'll leave 'em alone. I got everything stripped tonight and just have to pry off the intake.

I forgot to post the reason I'm doing this- I've got a bad oil leak that seems to be coming from the gaskets, and I'm losing coolant. Everything I've checked has pointed me in this direction, and after getting down to just the intake, I'm pretty sure the gaskets are the culprit. Once I pry the damn thing off, I'll be taking my time cleaning everything and making sure I get a good seal.

I did have a casualty though- the tiny tube that goes from the throttle body to the AC line snapped like a twig. Hopefully NAPA's got one:uhoh2:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a line from the tbi unit to the ac? I don't think mine has that one. Yea setting them by the book with it not running gets ya close enough to let it run and break in the cam, but should be set "right" shortly after. if yours has not been apart and no noise then no reason to mess with them.

QuickOrange

Reaction score
Yes, it's some tiny plastic tube (1/16ish) that runs from the throttle body to one of the AC hoses. I didn't pay too much attention to it since my AC doesn't work. At this point, I'm looking into plugging it. I'll deal with it when I rebuild the AC system.