Thermostatic valves for the TBI Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I removed the hot air door system on my Volvo. They get stuck halfway in-between fresh and hot air. To do it cleanly, I bought a lower air box from a turbo car.

I've also got the hot air setup on my 69 Buick. I don't know if it works, but I plan on finding out this summer, while redoing the vacuum lines.

Last edited:

Striker1423

Reaction score
So, it's been a day and a half and this topic got wayyy off the rails. Three pages? LOL This forum boggles my mind.

Anywho, the idea is to return the stock functionality of the intake flap using a new thermostatic valve. Terminology aside, the point is the old ones are either barely functioning or not at all. The intake gets plenty warm, but what I wanted to know was what kind of temperatures the valve was seeing off the exhaust manifold? The company (ThermOmegaTech) I'm talking to only has valves that work up to 300F. Does anyone know?

You must be registered for see images attach

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago, the sonsofbitches at a local state inspection station failed my grandpa truck '94 Suburban that was 100% stock -OTHER THAN- the flex hose from the passenger manifold up to the thermac unit was missing. Failed the visual, the guy actually broke out a 3 ring binder full of all the points he was supposed to look at, and keyed in on that one.

Anyway other than in really cold climates I don't see much point in replacing these. As others have, I've yanked mine out once they fail (and sometimes before they fail.)

Richard
A couple summers ago I was making a dump run and an OPP going the other way pulled a u-turn and came flying up behind the line of traffic I was in and when we all pulled to the shoulder, he came right up behind me and got out. He didn't even ask for my ID, he just started going over my truck. He was under the hood checking everything, on the ground looking under it, checking the lights, etc. My truck is completely like it came out of the factory and in fantastic condition for it's age, and after about 20 minutes, his hand were greasy and his clothes were dirty from being on the ground and I could tell he was pissed at not finding anything. Probably didn't help that I was chirping at him the whole time "There, I told you, stock!"

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So, it's been a day and a half and this topic got wayyy off the rails. Three pages? LOL This forum boggles my mind.

It's what we do :ROFLJest:

The intake gets plenty warm, but what I wanted to know was what kind of temperatures the valve was seeing off the exhaust manifold? The company (ThermOmegaTech) I'm talking to only has valves that work up to 300F. Does anyone know?

Have you checked the factory shop manual? It may give you specs and troubleshooting steps that would answer those questions.

Striker1423

Reaction score
It's what we do

Have you checked the factory shop manual? It may give you specs and troubleshooting steps that would answer those questions.

No wonder the post counts of everyone is so high. Holy hell. But, I'll check the manual. Might as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Anywho, the idea is to return the stock functionality of the intake flap using a new thermostatic valve. Terminology aside, the point is the old ones are either barely functioning or not at all. The intake gets plenty warm, but what I wanted to know was what kind of temperatures the valve was seeing off the exhaust manifold? The company (ThermOmegaTech) I'm talking to only has valves that work up to 300F. Does anyone know?

Maybe instead of throwing jabs at healthy discussion related to the topic, go do a little homework of your own?

Here's a suggestion

Richard

Striker1423

Reaction score
Maybe instead of throwing jabs at healthy discussion related to the topic, go do a little homework of your own?

Here's a suggestion

Richard
Forgive me for being a bit remiss here, but forums aren't typically instant message chat sessions where people state random thoughts like... grass is green, water is wet, and the sky is blue. BTW, that works well for air temperatures?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Forgive me for being a bit remiss here, but forums aren't typically instant message chat sessions where people state random thoughts like... grass is green, water is wet, and the sky is blue. BTW, that works well for air temperatures?
It'll work great for the metal ductwork on the exhaust manifold that routes the hot air up to the thermac. If you want more accurate results from the air itself, then get busy with figuring it out and let us know! We'll be waiting. My thermac is in pieces in a landfill somewhere, though.

To some degree they do work for air though you'd want to read the manual to be sure. I've used mine to check air temp at A/C vents in many cases. Is it accurate? Dunno, but mine was close to coolant temp with heater on full blast while checking after a new heater core install and other cooling system work. Truck not fully warmed up in this pic, temp climbing as I watched.

Richard