Which housing to use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all so trying to decide which headlight housing to use with my led low beam headlight bulbs. This will be in my 99 obs suburban. The ones on the top have a thing that covers part of the bulb and the bottom one you can see the whole bulb. Both are black housing and i got 6500k led bulbs from a place called vanquish auto. Will be doing a review of their product once installed. Also trying to decide if i should keep the color matched side markers or use the black clear ones. It will be out of paint tomorrow or Monday so have to decide quick lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the sake of everyone else on the road, please at least use the top set with the glare shields over the low beams if you insist on using LED headlights in them. FYI, there have been a few other people on this site who have tried this exact thing already. They'll be plenty bright, but the LEDs are going to throw light all over the place due to the difference in how they're built as compared to the filament location of a halogen. These composite housings were all designed for halogen bulbs, and I'm of the opinion that you should stick to halogen bulbs.

The only way I'd ever run LED headlights in these trucks is if I had a W/T grille, and it would be a set of the Trucklite dedicated LED housings for around $400. Anything less is going to be lackluster.

IMO you'd be way better off getting your money back for those drop in LEDs and investing in a HD headlight harness with 4-Hi mod and sticking with factory halogens. You'd get a much nicer result when it comes to actual usable light output.

EDIT - This thread is long and somewhat convoluted... But there's a ton of good information in here about the composite headlight housings for these trucks, what works well with them, and what doesn't.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that link!! Its got some good info! I thought it was unusual for headlights not to have that glare shield in them. The company i got the led bulbs from told me to try them and if i dont like them they will give a full refund. This actually came up talking about it on a different fourm. When i mentioned i didnt like led or hids in non projector housings they said hey look at our product try it and see what you think. So i am lol. Ill proly use the other housings for a projector retrofit with hids and demon eyes. Ive bought just about every halogen bulb out there and they just dont seem good enough. I always ran silver stars in my jeeps and subarus but they just dont seem as bright anymore. Im planning on the 4hi mod once i get the bulb situation figured out. And also getting some off road lighting, hella 500s for the win!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bottom ones look sick, don't function well at all, chunked em after about a month, i personally went back to new OEM housings worlds of difference, although I do have a relay pack feeding my headlights, with the 4hi mod, although I next to never use the highs, and I am running 6000k hids have used the cheap projector ones, seemed to wiggle in the housing, didn't like them and they still didn't seem to put out much light, was a long time ago, and I only gave them about 2 weeks before I switched to stockers and hid's all around might just have been a bad batch, although at the time I was driving into the sticks and it was pitch black, I needed all the light output I could get, now I drive around with as little as I can get by with... go figure. if you like the look and they perform good enough for you, do what ever, just keep in mind to adjust the headlights so your not blinding everyone, I don't seem to have any issues as I never get flashed, although I'm dropped 5-9