Which engine swaps can be done on gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
What Im looking for is a stout high revving engine.

OK. This is the solution then. 400 block/3.25" stroke crank. This is the "350 Chevy should have built". It has a short stroke so it revs like a chainsaw. It has a big bore so it breathes easily. If you use a forged large journal 327 crank, it will be plenty stout. The cool factor is there. The parts availability is there. The ease of installation is there, and you have all the accessories/brackets/etc already.

eric_503

Reaction score
Thought about the 400 route, I have had a 406, Block is weaker all around. They will split webs, cyl. walls, etc. more readily it seems then a 327/350. Finally have some time to sit and research abit more I'll see what I can come up with. I do have a 454 short block with some scat h beams and domed pistons, but it maybe to much for pump gas.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you considered methanol injection? I have never run it but I've never heard of anything bad about it.

Truckracer

Reaction score
I had a bunch of big block chev's that would rev to the moon. If not your not doing it right.
I ran a 396 bored .060 with 990 heads and an Isky mechanical flat tappet for over 3000 1/4 mile passes shifting at 7800 and trapping 7600.. Steel chevy crank, reworked chevy rods and Aries pistons..

I'd take that 454 and put a 427 stroke crank in it, and then build the valve train for the RPM, and then twist the hell out of it.

Or build a 496, and get the torque and power by 4800 rpm..sign off at 6000.

eric_503

Reaction score
View My Video

well i have been busy, wont say much until Im done, as I may not stick with it, having converter issues. But the cam is a .510/.510 lift .236/.236 duration and 106lsa

By the time I stick a half decent set of heads on the big block I could of built a half decent small block anyways, mostly using what I have off hand. No race gas for miles so the 454 with domed pistons is out.

eric_503

Reaction score
Sorry on the delay, stopped getting notifications not sure why. Was extremely easy, the sbc I put in it used the same motor mounts and clam shells. Also the same transmission. You'll have to get a tcm or wire a plug for 12v and manual valve body (which is what I run). Also ran a carb and took the throttle pedal assembly out of a 92 1/2 ton, the hole was in the firewall for mine, and the pedal was three bolts.

Took longer to get the diesel engine out then it did to put the sbc in. The ls works the same but you need the adapter plates.

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry on the delay, stopped getting notifications not sure why. Was extremely easy, the sbc I put in it used the same motor mounts and clam shells. Also the same transmission. You'll have to get a tcm or wire a plug for 12v and manual valve body (which is what I run). Also ran a carb and took the throttle pedal assembly out of a 92 1/2 ton, the hole was in the firewall for mine, and the pedal was three bolts.

Took longer to get the diesel engine out then it did to put the sbc in. The ls works the same but you need the adapter plates.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply