Which computer do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was a 94, and didn't have a TV cable, it was a 400/3L80, it had a vacuum line that draws from intake, as far as speedometer, that was dependent on the application if it had a cable or used the speed sensor rotor, the electric signal/VSS output, and as far as the books, they cover them to 2002 to include the 4L65 even. I just know that if they have the throttle valve cable, by the dipstick, it's not a electronic controlled unit , if they have the big electric plug behind the dipstick, it's computer controlled,
Again you are incorrect. It was a 4l60e. No tv cable. No vacuum line going to the trans. I know this because I'm part of the club that has blown one up and replaced with the same unit after a rebuild. Was not a 3 speed had 4 forward gears. Just because your books cover them that doesn't mean that every application was that way. Show your proof that the 93-94 had a 700r4 from the factory.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regardless of what they called it, 95 was the start of the computer controlled 4L60E, I've been working on tranny's for 30+ years, before 95 it was line pressure and the throttle valve cable is what makes them shift, after that it's line pressure and the computer that does it, OBS 1.5 Started in model Year 95, the tranny's have big round plug behind the dipstick, and no longer take the cable in front of the dipstick to shift.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regardless of what they called it, 95 was the start of the computer controlled 4L60E, I've been working on tranny's for 30+ years, before 95 it was line pressure and the throttle valve cable is what makes them shift, after that it's line pressure and the computer that does it, OBS 1.5 Started in model Year 95, the tranny's have big round plug behind the dipstick, and no longer take the cable in front of the dipstick to shift.
Tell your self what you want. You say this but can't back up what your saying. Good luck spreading your 30+ years of knowledge which is not correct. I'm done with this conversation.

tcmechanic2

Reaction score
Tell your self what you want. You say this but can't back up what your saying. Good luck spreading your 30+ years of knowledge which is not correct. I'm done with this conversation.
I owned a 94 1500 4.3 4l60e, they did put the 4l60e in late 94's I know I had one and I build transmissions for a living.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought somebody ought to say Awesome! glad you found what you were looking for so easily. I hope that works out for you.

Well, once I knew what to look for, instead of being absolutely clueless, it wasn't overly difficult to find. However, finding a V8 bolted to a stick is still a rarity.

RanDmaN75

Reaction score
I can't find a CLEAR answer on which computer I need, or what I need to do to the two that I do have.. We all know my info by now, but, I'll put here just in case.

89 RCSB 5-speed, 4.3L to 5.7L (from a 94 K2500 auto) swap.

My OEM computer does not have a service number on it. There are no labels nor identifying marks at all, except for the VIN (which I wrote on there myself) and "V6 5-speed" written in black marker.

The V8 computers' service number is 16196395.

What do I need to make it run, no check engine light, and pass emissions, all at the same time?

Thanks in advance.
I have a 1989 C1500 5.7L Silverado. I purchased an upgraded ECM from Dynamic EFI. It is upgraded with a EEPROM and a USB interface for programming via Tuner Pro. I am a novice and with a little help, I have my modified 5.7 up and running. I was even able to make use of the newer models electric fan controls with a little wiring and a few toggle options. Is your engine TBI or Multi Port FI?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1989 C1500 5.7L Silverado. I purchased an upgraded ECM from Dynamic EFI. It is upgraded with a EEPROM and a USB interface for programming via Tuner Pro. I am a novice and with a little help, I have my modified 5.7 up and running. I was even able to make use of the newer models electric fan controls with a little wiring and a few toggle options. Is your engine TBI or Multi Port FI?

Speaking of which, I've contacted that guy several times. No reply.

My engine is TBI. I've read that MPFI is nothing more than a different intake manifold that still uses the TBI, so what's the point?