Which bulbs for front turn and park/pos lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
I need some help, I'm a bit confused with my front park/position lights and turnsignal bulbs, I'm looking into switching to LED bulbs instead of the regular bulbs. The bulbs sitting now are both BAY15d/1157, doesn't that mean they are dual function? Like the rear/brake light, it's on and gets brighter when braking?

Looking at how mine works it feels like it should be the BA15s/1156 bulbs, single function? On mine the turnsignal bulbs are either off (not lit) or blinking and park/pos lights are either on or off (does not blink or glow less/brighter when turnsignals are on/off), they don't seam to be connected with each other.

For the record my park/pos lights are white and turns are amber, white turnsignals are illegal and so is amber pos lights.
So did the PO put in the wrong bulbs? I know after searching that every guide I've found says BAY15d/1157 but I'm not sure it's the same for the once made for the European market (mine is not imported).

Does anyone know?

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Is the socket for a single filament or dual bulb? That should give you your answer.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For the record my park/pos lights are white and turns are amber, white turnsignals are illegal and so is amber pos lights.
So did the PO put in the wrong bulbs? I know after searching that every guide I've found says BAY15d/1157 but I'm not sure it's the same for the once made for the European market (mine is not imported).

Someone has probably modified it to make it compliant, though. Normally, U.S. market trucks like these have amber bulbs in all 4 positions, and they are indeed 1157 dual-function - the park and headlight functions illuminate all 4 on the dim filament, as well as the small 194 corner bulbs; the turn signals illuminate both bulbs for the given side on the bright filament.

Richard

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Is the socket for a single filament or dual bulb? That should give you your answer.

I'm such a dumbass, I looked at the bulb but not the socket! I'm gonna take them out again and check. Thanks!

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Someone has probably modified it to make it compliant, though. Normally, U.S. market trucks like these have amber bulbs in all 4 positions, and they are indeed 1157 dual-function - the park and headlight functions illuminate all 4 on the dim filament, as well as the small 194 corner bulbs; the turn signals illuminate both bulbs for the given side on the bright filament.

Richard

It was ordered by a Swedish guy directly from the factory (built in Canada), it even says EXPORT on the park/pos + turnsignal housing assembley, I think it was done from factory (it even has the export stuff listed in the RPO codes).
The way you're discribing it, mine doesn't do that, only the one under the low beam is park/pos. and the other is turnsignal and the lower corner is also turnsignal.
I'm gonna take the housing out again and see what the socket looks like.
Thanks for the info, I always thought people timed their pics so the turnsignals where lit, didn't know they worked like that.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
I ran out and checked, it looks like it is the sockets for dual function... and it has 3 wires to each socket if that means anything, but the bulbs still don't work as dual funtion so I guess they must have cut one of the wires were i can't see it...?

Is it possible to put a single filament bulb in a dual socket?

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly like mine! Mine's also cut making the inner bulb a turnsignal & the outer bulbs pos. Anyone got a electric scheme? I would like mine to be both turn signal and pos/park so i can run switchback leds. :)

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
That's exactly like mine! Mine's also cut making the inner bulb a turnsignal & the outer bulbs pos. Anyone got a electric scheme? I would like mine to be both turn signal and pos/park so i can run switchback leds. :)

I think I figured this out, I had to replace the holder for one of the turnsignal bulbs this weekend since the PO glued in the bulbs rather than replace the worn bulb holders...
Anyways there is 3 wires: blue, black + brown. On the turnsignals the brown wire is cut and on the park/pos the blue wire is cut so connecting them again should make it work like on US trucks. Once I get the other 3 holders I'll probably connect them again and put in switchbacks.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it figured out. That's an interesting "fix" they came up with to meet the regulations.

I saw your post with your color matched grille. Well done!

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it figured out. That's an interesting "fix" they came up with to meet the regulations.

I saw your post with your color matched grille. Well done!

Yeah I know, here we do things the easiest way possible. It's the same with my rear turnsignals (the plastic on mine are 3 colors: red, amber + white) originally they where turns + brakelights but since we have to have amber turns and red brakes the solution was to cut the wire for the brakelight. Only the upper light works as rear + breaklight now.
I guess the good thing about cuting the wires is that it's very easy to reconnect them now that we have switchbacks and can use the lights the way they where intended to be used.

Thank you very much! :)