Wheel stud replacement!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so long story short i almost died today...I replaced my brakes(rotors and pads) this morning, and put it all back together. Well i guess maybe my brother didn't get the lugs on the drivers side very tight or something went wrong. I was driving home from work on a backroad and heard a noise that sounded like i ran over something plastic so i didn't think anything of it, well a little ways down the road i heard it again so i got out and looked under the truck because i figured something was caught under it or hung up or something. Didn't see nothing so i was thinking that was odd but got back in and continued down the road further, well i heard the noise one more time and stuck my head out the window and looked at my drivers side front tire and it's wobbling in and out as it turns. So i slowed down quickly and got out and investigated. I had lost all but 2 lug nuts and they were right beside each other, There was metal shavings inside the lip of the rims and the lug nut holes were jacked up. Called a friend to bring me a jack and we got it up, took a lug from the 3 other tires and put them on the bad one and tightened them down and limped it home. Now i've got a sheared off stud and need to replace it. I got new studs i just need to know how?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just hammer the old/bad stud out put new one in and tighten it into place.

Depending on the condition of your front hub it may be just as easy to replace the whole hub assembly.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thru the back put new one in and put lug nut on and tighten it till its fully pulled into the hub then when they are all in put rotor and caliper back on

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
Okay, so long story short i almost died today...I replaced my brakes(rotors and pads) this morning, and put it all back together. Well i guess maybe my brother didn't get the lugs on the drivers side very tight or something went wrong. I was driving home from work on a backroad and heard a noise that sounded like i ran over something plastic so i didn't think anything of it, well a little ways down the road i heard it again so i got out and looked under the truck because i figured something was caught under it or hung up or something. Didn't see nothing so i was thinking that was odd but got back in and continued down the road further, well i heard the noise one more time and stuck my head out the window and looked at my drivers side front tire and it's wobbling in and out as it turns. So i slowed down quickly and got out and investigated. I had lost all but 2 lug nuts and they were right beside each other, There was metal shavings inside the lip of the rims and the lug nut holes were jacked up. Called a friend to bring me a jack and we got it up, took a lug from the 3 other tires and put them on the bad one and tightened them down and limped it home. Now i've got a sheared off stud and need to replace it. I got new studs i just need to know how?

That happened to my dads truck before

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All but one of them came out easily with a few good whacks of a hammer, the one thats sheared off is flush with the hub so i can't just hammer it out. Any ideas of how with normal tools?

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
All but one of them came out easily with a few good whacks of a hammer, the one thats sheared off is flush with the hub so i can't just hammer it out. Any ideas of how with normal tools?

find something that would fit in the hole on the hug and something you can beat on with a hammer and use it to drive it out

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hammer and punch. Slightly smaller bolt in place of a punch will also work. Throw some eye protection on too, blind sucks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And if the lug nut seats on the wheel are chewed up, be smart and replace the wheel. Or at very minimum leave yourself a note in a very obvious place to force you to regularly check the torque. I've seen more than once where someone failed to properly tighten lugs and snap off some studs, chew the wheel up, then the wheel would later come loose again because the lugs wouldn't seat properly against the damaged wheel. Seen it first hand, not "heard about" wive's tales. One guy had a really sharp little Rambler convertible with a Chevy 350 swap. Hated to see that car get hurt.

Richard