Wheel hub bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Did about 150 miles with the truck today, was making some strange noises, I figure its a wheel bearing.
Usually when I have had a hub go bad in my other vehicles, there is a roaring sound or the ABS light comes on etc. Today, none of that but it made a clunky, grindy sound every few miles, just for a second or two. When I got home, I jacked it up and there is play in the hub, so I figure thats where the noise was coming from. Never had one sound like this before.....Any comments?...Anyone had this happen this way to them?

97 GMC 1500 4x4

Shwagon

Reaction score
If there's play in the hub (make sure it's only in the hub and not a steering joint) that usually constitutes a bearing replacement. Another thing you can do is find an empty parking lot and drive in a figure 8 pattern, usually when a wheel bearing is going bad it will make a noise when loaded (hard right turn, noise will come from the left wheel and vise-versa).

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Changed the bearing last week...The funny noise was the ABS getting a false reading due to the play and trying to come on.....thanks anyways

Shwagon

Reaction score
cool deal, congrats on the repair and thanks for the update on what fixed it.