whats the average life of a vortec 350?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok Im looking at buying a 98 gmc 1500 Z71 and its got 370,000kms on it so im just wanting to know how many miles or kms everyone else have on there trucks and if it would be a good buy? its in very good shape so im trying to think if i buy it how long could it last me before i have to dump alot of work in to it.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
We have a thread somewhere on here - how many miles on your truck - or something like that.

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got 159,000 miles on mine

Nice! my 95 suburban has 380,000kms on it with the stock engine but its not my daily driver anymore

Right now im driving a 99 dodge ram 1500 sport with 200,000 kms on it and i hate the truck i only bought it cuz it was the right price at the time but ive already had to put a new engine in it a new PCM in it and a ton more work and it still needs more and im sick of the thing! so im hoping to trade it in for this z71 i found

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Nice! my 95 suburban has 380,000kms on it with the stock engine but its not my daily driver anymore

Right now im driving a 99 dodge ram 1500 sport with 200,000 kms on it and i hate the truck i only bought it cuz it was the right price at the time but ive already had to put a new engine in it a new PCM in it and a ton more work and it still needs more and im sick of the thing! so im hoping to trade it in for this z71 i found

doooooooo it

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya i want to, its already got 33" mud tires on it and glasspack dual exhaust but the only thing im worried about is the high km

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Ok Im looking at buying a 98 gmc 1500 Z71 and its got 370,000kms on it so im just wanting to know how many miles or kms everyone else have on there trucks and if it would be a good buy? its in very good shape so im trying to think if i buy it how long could it last me before i have to dump alot of work in to it.

Miles aren't that important. It all depends how it's looked after. My old 5.7 vortec calved at 373'000 kms, but it had a hard life. I think hours would be a much more accurate measure of wear than miles, but it still depends on how it was used. That said the most beat up and abused '400 I've ever seen (that I got for parts) had 438k on a 4.3 and still runs great.

There is no realistic "average". Engine failure happens for a reason. Sometimes it is old age, but I've seen trucks on their original, non-rebuilt Vortec with well over 600'000kms.
Now, there are common problems with these engines that will almost certainly need to be addressed sooner rather than later if they haven't already. Intake gaskets come to mind right off the bat. That and the spider injector assembly, I'm sure others will chime in with other common problems. But neither of these are jobs so huge to be too afraid of, even with limited mechanical experience.

The engine certainly wouldn't be my biggest concern. I would be considerably more worried about the condition of the (10 bolt, I presume) rear end and (4L60E, I also presume) transmission. Both of these are known weak points on these trucks, and unfortunately, unless you see something obvious (leaks, burnt transmission fluid), they can be almost impossible to judge. If the truck was ever plowed with...good luck my friend. Just sayin'.

However, these trucks are extremely easy to work on and parts are not only cheap, but relatively abundant. No matter what you buy, stuff is going to break, eventually. Period.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
i second the 10 bolt being the thing you need to worry about but they're great trucks and as said above^ easy to work on

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Miles aren't that important. It all depends how it's looked after. My old 5.7 vortec calved at 373'000 kms, but it had a hard life. I think hours would be a much more accurate measure of wear than miles, but it still depends on how it was used. That said the most beat up and abused '400 I've ever seen (that I got for parts) had 438k on a 4.3 and still runs great.

There is no realistic "average". Engine failure happens for a reason. Sometimes it is old age, but I've seen trucks on their original, non-rebuilt Vortec with well over 600'000kms.
Now, there are common problems with these engines that will almost certainly need to be addressed sooner rather than later if they haven't already. Intake gaskets come to mind right off the bat. That and the spider injector assembly, I'm sure others will chime in with other common problems. But neither of these are jobs so huge to be too afraid of, even with limited mechanical experience.

The engine certainly wouldn't be my biggest concern. I would be considerably more worried about the condition of the (10 bolt, I presume) rear end and (4L60E, I also presume) transmission. Both of these are known weak points on these trucks, and unfortunately, unless you see something obvious (leaks, burnt transmission fluid), they can be almost impossible to judge. If the truck was ever plowed with...good luck my friend. Just sayin'.

However, these trucks are extremely easy to work on and parts are not only cheap, but relatively abundant. No matter what you buy, stuff is going to break, eventually. Period.

Thanks and thats a good point and very true what you said. im not to worried about the tranny or rearend cuz i have spare ones form my suburban but the engine is a tbi so it wouldnt bolt in if it did blow on me. and again your right about that it depends on if it was takin care of.