WHAT TO DO WITH WHAT I GOT.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Fer us low budget guys that have a junk bin of stuff.

I got a '92 Z71 with stock speaker placements and a basic Pioneer head unit ( DEH 1300MP). An alpine type R composite speaker system (6" subs, crossover,1" tweets) and a couple of pioneer 5" coaxial . The amp is an Alpine V-power 4 channel (MRP-F250). I'm lookin to get as clean a sound as I can without breakin the bank. I am also NOT a huge audiophile, just like clean, with the occasional bangin music.

Suggestions, Comments, Experience. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I am planning on mounting the amp behind the dash. Basically where the stock amp used to be. Should be enough room and a good airy locale.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the problems that i have with 4x6s is that they do not last long and they can not hold any kind of amp power ...
The only ones that i ever found to work good was the old school Alpine plates and the boston acoustics plates ... but the required a larger midbass driver in the kics or doors to assist them when used for your front stage ... And also, I'm thinking if you mount an amp to the firewall, you may encounter too much heat for the amp ...

This is what "I would do to my early 90's truck if I had one" ... and this is what i did to my 91 back in the day ...
I would retrofit and install a 5.25" midrange into my stock dask locations ... and add a tweeter to each A-pillar (just like what I have on my truck now) ...
and install a 8" mid bass / sub bass driver into each kick pannnel ... basically a 3 way full range component set for front ...

you don't have to go with the expensive stuff ... just shop around wisely ... and take pride in install

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
OK,
So I got the 5" pioneer 3ways that I was planning on putting in the dash.(to replace the oddball 4x6 I got in there) And the 1" tweeters can go on the front pillars. The amp wouldn't be on the firewall, it would be more against the front of the dash, closer to the left center a/c vent. The 6" subs still on the back pillar? Or should I move them to the doors? If I move the subs to the doors, what should I put in back? If anything.

Last edited:

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got the 5" pioneer 3ways that I was planning on putting in the dash.(to replace the oddball 4x6 I got in there) And the 1" tweeters can go on the front pillars.
is this a component set or 3 way coaxials ??

The amp wouldn't be on the firewall, it would be more against the front of the dash, closer to the left center a/c vent. .
Sorry, but I can not get a mental picture of this ... been a while since i've been in one of these year model trucks ...

The 6" subs still on the back pillar? Or should I move them to the doors? If I move the subs to the doors, what should I put in back? If anything.
are you sure they are 6" subs or 6" mid bass drivers ?? I'd leave them there for now until you get the front sorted out ...

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Got 5" pioneers installed in the dash. Minimal cutting required. Just about a 1/4" circle outa the front plastic. No metal needed to be cut. Shoehorned right in.