What spare parts would you bring - road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can see that as a one day trip using the interstate... the routes I have from Texas are very rural... took us about 5.5 hours to get there (stopping to rest, eat, etc...). The route back we had to detour to pick up some wheels, so it took even longer.

I also did not have a tow vehicle available as the weekend I needed to go clashed with other people’s travel plans...

It all worked out in the end... had my buddy drive my wife’s CR-V back full of tools and supplies.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear it worked. The only thing I carried with me on a road trip to Ohio from Texas a few years ago was about $400 cash, my debit card, my small but well stocked toolbox, 1 QT of power steering fluid (the reman hydroboost I had to replace the seeping one in the van if it started leaking), and 5 gallons of water and my good set of jumper cables. Traveled 2,200 miles in 52 hours. The only unexpected thing on the whole trip was a burned #2 plug wire I wrapped with electrical tape somewhere at a gas station near Little Rock on the way home in a rain storm. They were 2 years old and the headers cooked it. I also had to put 1 qt of oil in it when I got back into Texas. My brother and I had been pushing it hard most of the trip. Cruise was mostly set at 80-85 mph.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well... I took a crap ton of tools and spare fluids... made it back home safe! I just hated the thought of being stranded without the tools I needed to get me going. Looks like I worried for nothing!

No not for nothing. The demon God Murphy is in charge of such things. The only reason you did not have a problem is the fact that you were prepared for most reasonable emergencies. If you had not been prepared, Murphy would have gleefully screwed you over and left you stranded by the road for want of a simple part like a hose clamp. Murphy is always watching and he never sleeps !

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Glad you made it back without any problems. I liked the idea of renting a car dollie or trailer also. I always rented one whenever I went to the drag strip or picked up a new car.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No not for nothing. The demon God Murphy is in charge of such things. The only reason you did not have a problem is the fact that you were prepared for most reasonable emergencies. If you had not been prepared, Murphy would have gleefully screwed you over and left you stranded by the road for want of a simple part like a hose clamp. Murphy is always watching and he never sleeps !

Murphy's law was always on my mind when I was in combat zones... :biggun:
If you haven't read those laws, they are a funny (and true) read.

Reaction score
I keep a good assortment of tools for minor repairs plus electrical & self vulcanizing tape. I also have a heavy duty hydraulic bottle jack, jack stands and chocks plus a wooden step that I built to assist my Mom getting into the cab. The wooden stand is handy for giving me a bit of height to work in the under hood area. I also keep an assortment of fluids, 50/50 antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid & gear oil. A couple of lengths of electrical wire and crimp on connectors. I hate to sound like a prepper but I also plan on adding a cheap multimeter to the above. It all fits behind the front seats and in the tool box behind the cab. I also carry my credit cards plus around $200 in cash tucked behind my wallet side pockets. During a power and utility outage in our area the gas stations powered up on generators but had no access to atm or credit/debit card. The stashed cash can get you on down the road to use your other assets.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
a new distributer for when the gear shears off its teeth