What Size Lift to Run on 33s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seger

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a lift for my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71. To begin just so you kind of know what I am going for I use this truck as a daily driver and just want a mild fairly inexpensive suspension lift, but also being a daily driver something I don't have to worry about that I can still use as my daily driver. I am getting 33s put on my truck here soon but I don't want to go too big for money reasons but most importantly I want it to have a good look and stance with my 33's. I was wondering based on what I am going for what would be a good size lift? What brand to go with? Also are there any places that can put on my lift that won't charge me a **** ton of money and do a great job as well? I am in the Indiana area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
what size 33's?
what rim offset do you want?
what's your current gearing?
will you "wheel" the truck or is it going to be a mall crawler?

keep in mind a tire change affects your final gearing and on your '98 the computer needs to recalibrated to correct the speedometer if you want it correct.

if you just want a 33" TALL tire for more wheel-well fill, just get 285/75-16's and put em on your stock rims.....done.

CHEAP and lift shouldn't be used in the same sentence if you plan on actually using the truck to it's full potential.....inexpensive means something different, but a good mechanic will charge for their expertise......it's hard to eat your cake and have it too.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah you don't need a lift kit for 33s. They fit fine with stock suspension. Maybe a turn or two on the torsion bars at most

Seger

Reaction score
That is probably what I will do especially since Lift Kits are so expensive. How much would you go up in the front? I would not want to max them out but possibly 2 inches at max. Also would you recommend AAL's in the rear or Blocks for daily driving? I was leaning towards the AAL's.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have personally run 34's on my 98 with no lift and stock wheels so wouldn't worry about lifting it.

Reaction score
Yes I agree, no lift is needed just adjust the torsion bars. I had 33's on my 91 Z71 for 100,000 miles just had to trim the front bumper just a little.

Seger

Reaction score
Ernest how many inches did you adjust the torsion bars? What is the equivalent for adjustment? I read it is about 6 full turns for 2 inches of lift?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For 285/75/16s you don't even need to touch the T-bars. I ran that size on my Suburban at stock height for over a year and never rubbed once. I'd just leave it alone. The higher you crank the bars, the worse your ride quality is going to get. Not to mention your front end will eat parts like nobody's business.

If you crank them up more than an inch and a half or so, you're going to have a really bad time.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
torsoin bars dont have a normally so many turns for x amount of suspension readjusted height, they are a wear item, they wear at different rrates so no two bars are alike in any sense, crank st it down, measure, repeat

cranking isnt a great choice, your offset actually changes when the arms cycle downward, but at the same time the height of the tire is less likely to hit frame in the same spot