What kind of transmisson?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 Z71

Reaction score
I have been looking at buying this 2000 Z71 but the guy said the trans is going on it. I have a 95 Z71 with a 4l60e I believe. Would be easy enough to just swap out the trannys easily? My truck has the 350 TBI and his has the 350 Vortex if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the help with this.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i belive there is a difference in the trans your best bet is to call a local salvage yard and have them check their interchange list between those year trucks

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If both trucks have an RPO code of M30 then they both have 4L60E, my truck's RPO codes only have 1 that starts with an "M" so I'm assuming all M codes are for the transmission. To find out just open your glove box and look on the door of the glove box, you'll see all of your RPO codes and then go online on a site that lets you look up RPO codes (just search for RPO codes). It's a few on there. RPO codes will basically tell you anything about the truck and I believe it's only GMs with RPO codes. So after that just see if both trucks have the same M code(s).

Last edited:

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Different transfer cases and different style 4L60e. Aint work your time or your money to Swap that transmission in that truck. Buy the truck and rebuild the transmission. Plenty of rebuild kits around.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Different transfer cases and different style 4L60e. Aint work your time or your money to Swap that transmission in that truck. Buy the truck and rebuild the transmission. Plenty of rebuild kits around.

I agree. You have an older 4l60 and the newer trucks are very different. Just rebuild it

95 Z71

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help on this. Oh and could someone point me in the direction to find some rebuild kits for this type of trans

Thanks again.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
There are companies that make a kit for the 60E that corrects the problems the 60 had that made the tranny weak. Ofcourse you still have your 60 case, but you should be just fine since I doubt you'll be racing it. I'll look and see if I can find a link to it for ya man. I would definitely do it, it's a 'fix' for that 60E.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well I had watched a youtube video of a guy from a certain company explaining how their 60e kits pretty much make the internals as strong as a stock 80e, but I'm having problems finding it now. I know B&M, TCI, Pro-Built, Alto, etc make very good kits, but they may be too pricey for what you're looking to spend. I've used the B&M kit before along with the other brands, and I'd have to say that the B&M has the most detailed instructions I can imagine. It is literally step-by-step, down to the "dots on the i's".