EBL-flash and 4L60E control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm curious why you want to tune your engine but not the trans? You'll be hampered with lame 4000ish RPM WOT upshifts if you've done anything meaningful with the engine.
the ability to Tune the engine;
because of the heavily ported 193 heads, ported 3704 intake, flattops, 15psi fuel spring, and cam is being changed most likley will not play nice with the stock computer programing.
(either a rv cam(summet 1102)- or a melling 1336 (lt1 clone)- haven't decided witch one- yes i know flat vs roller)

I was thinking the ebl- flash route because of its seemed simplicity and cost
vs the multiple components needed to flash burn or emulator- (boosted nw's kits as an example).

As the motor is just a warmed up tbi, shifting above 5k in a tiny truck on the street, just isnt practible or sensible for me. thats the reson not to play with the trans programing.

Would you sugget the chip burning or emulator over the EBL route?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because of the heavily ported 193 heads, ported 3704 intake, flattops, 15psi fuel spring, and cam is being changed most likley will not play nice with the stock computer programing.
(either a rv cam(summet 1102)- or a melling 1336 (lt1 clone)- haven't decided witch one- yes i know flat vs roller)

vs the multiple components needed to flash burn or emulator- (boosted nw's kits as an example).

As the motor is just a warmed up tbi, shifting above 5k in a tiny truck on the street, just isnt practible or sensible for me. thats the reson not to play with the trans programing.

In your case yes. The hardware needed to flash your own chips is way less than $400. The downside is speed. You will have to datalog multiple passes and re-burn chips until you get it where you want it. If you use EEPROMS like the 27SF512 you can erase and re-flash until you get your tune the way you want it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

5000 is a damn sight higher than the stock shift point. Why make power in a range you'll never touch? Not tuning the trans here would be just plain stupid.

Reaction score
5000 is a damn sight higher than the stock shift point. Why make power in a range you'll never touch? Not tuning the trans here would be just plain stupid.
I wouldnt be making power in that range... tbi even with the LT1 cam would stop making power at 5k.
so the stock shift points would be more than fine, no need to modify them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt be making power in that range... tbi even with the LT1 cam would stop making power at 5k.
so the stock shift points would be more than fine, no need to modify them.

You want to shift after peak, not before. Case in point an L31 peaks at 4600 and shifts 5000-5100.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
More precisely you want it to drop into the next gear at the peak of the torque range so it's pulling hard as soon as it shifts.

No, to get it perfect you need a Dyno or good data from EFILive/HPTuners to observe your HP curve. You want to stay in the highest part of the hp band when you grab that next gear. Depending on the transmission, you may fall back prior to peak torque. But torque isn't the name of the game with a WOT upshift, HP is.

Put another way: if you know you're going to lose 2000 RPM on a given upshift, you select your upshift points so that when you grab the next gear, you're at the bottom of the upper 2000 RPM that gives the most average HP.

Last edited:

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this a while back on my 94. I used the factory pcm and an EBL flash. With instructions from Bob, I re-pinned some of the wires to new connectors for the EBL and had it done in a few hours. I don’t remember all the details as it was about ten years ago, but I remember that it wasn’t that hard and it worked great.