What kind of backspacing will work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmmurphy

Reaction score
I am about to order some wheels/tires for my 98. It's an ECSB Z71. I'm going with the Cooper Discoverer STT LT tires in a 305/60/18. The wheels I want are the Helo HE835. The issue is, to get that wheel in an 18" diameter they have a 5.71" backspacing. Would that work? If not, what range would work? I've done searches here and on FSC and can't find an exact answer. I plan on cranking a little, and maybe adding a body lift if necessary for the tires to not rub.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't rub since they aren't even an inch bigger then stock 265/75/16's. They should work but the + offset from a wheel with almost 6" of backspacing will have the wheels tucked inside the fender wells. And since your going to run a mud tire I'd assume you want a wheel that sticks out of the fenders a bit? If so look for something close to a 4.5" backspacing and a - offset.

tmmurphy

Reaction score
What about a 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing and 0 offset? I really like these wheels, just not the sizes available. The 17's would be wrapped by the same tire, except in a 295/70/17. I'd like a wide stance, but not too wide. I'm not really into tires sticking out way past the fenders.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure stock wheels are a 0mm offset so they will have the same stance as it would with stock wheels but with 33's it might look a little wider but I doubt they would stick out of the fenders much if any.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't rub since they aren't even an inch bigger then stock 265/75/16's. They should work but the + offset from a wheel with almost 6" of backspacing will have the wheels tucked inside the fender wells. And since your going to run a mud tire I'd assume you want a wheel that sticks out of the fenders a bit? If so look for something close to a 4.5" backspacing and a - offset.

Ummm..??? They're almost guaranteed to rub - take my word for it. Unless you have any kind of 2 - 3" lift at minimum and/or a little bit of trimming, count on rubbage. The diameter isn't the problem necessarily but the width. Personally, I'd stick to the -12mm offset as I have experience with 2 sets and know what they look like mounted. Those have around 4.5" of backspace.

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was about to order a 16x10 inch wheel the other day to be told that it will rub big time on my '98 GMC 2500 4WD. Is this true??

bai78

Surviving...
Reaction score
I was about to order a 16x10 inch wheel the other day to be told that it will rub big time on my '98 GMC 2500 4WD. Is this true??

If you're stock, then they will more than likely rub.

I had 16x10's with 4.5 bs & they cleared but mine is lifted. Now I've gone to a 16x9 with 4.54 bs & they even brought back my tight turn radius!

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 3 inch body lift now. Runnin the same size tires as you. 315/75/16 Terra Grapplers A/T. No rubs at the present time.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure stock wheels are a 0mm offset so they will have the same stance as it would with stock wheels but with 33's it might look a little wider but I doubt they would stick out of the fenders much if any.

Stock 4WD wheels have much more than 0 offset. I forget the exact measurement, but my 16x8s have 12mm offset and that is still far less than stock. My 285s with 12mm offset stick out from the fender over an inch.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3977860P/

You must be registered for see images

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score