What kind of backspacing will work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The stock 2wd wheels were right at 0, if not a tad negative. The 4wd wheels had a higher(more positive) offset due to the front hubs sticking out far enough to clear the suspension/drive axle/steering/geometry/etc(all that crap), and the rear axle was widened by design to match the front. So in order to keep the standard track of the 2wd, they used higher offset wheels to counter the extended hubs.

Take a drw for example, the hubs stick out so far, I have +127mm offset with 8" backspacing to tuck the wheels back under the fenders and retain the standard track/width. That's pretty much how offset and backspacing works. Got any questions or need something calculated, just holler.....I can hook ya up with a good place to buy calculators. :crazy:

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since mine is a 2500, I have the factory fender flares. So the way it looks right now, the rear tires seem tucked under the bed, but the fronts look like they're sticking out. There's no spacers either. It looks funny IMO.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. The track width is a little more narrow in the rear. Chevy has done that forever with almost everything (Camaro, Beretta & truck stock all did). It's supposed to help highway manners from what I've heard.

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if a guy were to run an inch or 2 wheel spacer in the rear to "fix" the look it has?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Correctly done, it wouldn't hurt atall, it would actually help with towing-sway by giving the rear a bit wider, more stable stance. Correct spacers aren't cheap though, and would probably have to be custom made for these trucks considering age. They would have to match bore size exactly and would have to have a fake hub made into them for wheels to sit on.