What is this plug in engine bay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure what this is, found it while looking around. Any ideas?
I don't see this plug on my other truck (other is a 1996 chevy, this one is a 1999 "classic" chevy)
It looks like its coming from under the computer module and I can see a white + pink wire wrapped up in loom.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't upload on first post sorry

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 98, it looks like it goes to the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve.

Do you have a check engine light on?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I do have a check engine light on ever since I bought the truck. I am pretty sure I don’t even have that peice or the hose of the EVAP system under my hood... could explain why this isnt plugged in...

Ill look closer when i can, but if I dont have part of the system, is it even worth keeping? I heard you can do a delete? May clean up the engine bay alot.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The evaporative emissions system takes vapors from the gas tank that are pushed out when filling the tank and stores them in the EVAP canister. Vacuum from the engine draws them in so that they are burned.

A malfunctioning system can sometimes make it difficult to fill the gas tank as the vapors have no place to go except between the filler neck and dispenser nozzle.

It would be best to leave it, not sure where your gasoline vapors would be vented to otherwise. You probably wouldn’t want them venting directly into the engine bay.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what type of systems were used or how they have changed, but I’m pretty sure that open (vented) gas tanks went away in the 1970s.

I want to say that the components for 98+ were different than the previous years, though the overall function was the same.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the connection on the side of the canister. Plugged it in, but still not sure why it would be unplugged and hidden lol. Maybe it doesn't even work. Owell.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
older trucks use a charcoal canister,my truck has a temp sensor for the gauge that looks like that.it's a 2 wire plug with 1 wire in it.