What is 'louder'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man if you want your truck to sound good your going to have to spend some money on good name brand stuff... stop buying the knock off ****... i hate when i here people say my truck dont sound right i got the $10 knock off flowmaster... well theres your problem...

cheap **** = dollar store sound!!!

to change the sound of something you must change more then the muffler.. pipe size is a big factor... i have a mostly stock V6 and you would think its a V8 at idle.. stock Y pipe no cat coming off the Y its all 3" to a real flowmaster then 3" out...

take me a pic of your exhaust and i will help you out.. ive done exhaust work of over 5 years... my first job at 15 was at a exhaust shop as a helper...

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
man if you want your truck to sound good your going to have to spend some money on good name brand stuff... stop buying the knock off ****... i hate when i here people say my truck dont sound right i got the $10 knock off flowmaster... well theres your problem...

cheap **** = dollar store sound!!!

to change the sound of something you must change more then the muffler.. pipe size is a big factor... i have a mostly stock V6 and you would think its a V8 at idle.. stock Y pipe no cat coming off the Y its all 3" to a real flowmaster then 3" out...

take me a pic of your exhaust and i will help you out.. ive done exhaust work of over 5 years... my first job at 15 was at a exhaust shop as a helper...

Everyone and there brother says the Flo-Pro has the same exact baffle setup as a flowmaster 40, my exhaust (like previously stated) consists of true dual (no x,h) 2.25"s with NO CATS, running just like the stock ones do, with no 3 bolt flange back past the torsion key crossmember, with 2 flo-pros turned sideways and open outlets right before the right rear shock.

I'm thinking the mufflers play a factor in the sound too, I still believe real 40s will change it, I dont care what these exhaust shops say.

EDIT: There is absolutely no reason in running anything bigger than a 2.5" pipe on a stock 5.7, there is tons of threads about how it does more harm then help.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i think its your knock off muffler you got... i know alot of guys around here run them and they all sound like crap to me... thats just me..

why dont you look in the magnaflow with the built in X its 2 in 2 out..

your right 3" on duels is over kill... but 2 into 1 pipe will make more sound then duel pipes if done right.. like i said i have a V6 that sounds like a V8 all cuz the way i did the exhaust.. you can keep your stock Y pipe so you have back pressure an you have low end..

i talked to my old boss an he said if you want the nice crackle sound step your pipe size down from the motor to the muffler.. this makes the sound move faster in the pipe and keeps it tight... he said just think of your exhaust as a water hose lol when you put your finger over the end it builds pressure and comes out faster... lol nice way to put it but makes sence...

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THIS is exactly what I want my truck to sound like, to the damn T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLj6NqmyBaM

this guy has true flowmasters on it... they have that sound of there own over the knock off junk.... also i bet he is got a single flow on it.. single in duel out dumped... sounds like the millon trucks running around here

also if you dont want to step your main pipe down you can make your turn downs smaller... 2" turn downs and it will give you that pop sound...

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
yeah i think its your knock off muffler you got... i know alot of guys around here run them and they all sound like crap to me... thats just me..

why dont you look in the magnaflow with the built in X its 2 in 2 out..

your right 3" on duels is over kill... but 2 into 1 pipe will make more sound then duel pipes if done right.. like i said i have a V6 that sounds like a V8 all cuz the way i did the exhaust.. you can keep your stock Y pipe so you have back pressure an you have low end..

i talked to my old boss an he said if you want the nice crackle sound step your pipe size down from the motor to the muffler.. this makes the sound move faster in the pipe and keeps it tight... he said just think of your exhaust as a water hose lol when you put your finger over the end it builds pressure and comes out faster... lol nice way to put it but makes sence...

The 5.7 vortec has no y pipe, its true duals until where the stock muffler (DI/SO) would be. I'm not sure if you were talking in the 3rd person or not, but just clarifying.

Well since the mufflers were like 30 bucks a piece, I will probably just cut them off and get flowmaster 10s on there down the road, which will take less than 5 mins, and the best part is, I also have ALL NEW pipes from manifolds back, so its not like its a burden anyways.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
this guy has true flowmasters on it... they have that sound of there own over the knock off junk.... also i bet he is got a single flow on it.. single in duel out dumped... sounds like the millon trucks running around here

also if you dont want to step your main pipe down you can make your turn downs smaller... 2" turn downs and it will give you that pop sound...

"My 2005 f150 4.6l with Pace Setter long tube headers and Flowmaster 1 chamber 10 series true duel no cats, dumped before the rear axle"

That's the video description.