What is 'louder'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I have true dual 2.25" pipes, no cats, running straight back to knockoff flowmaster 40s (v-force flo pros), that have turn downs.

Would it be louder to cut the turn downs off and have open mufflers, or leave the turn downs on?

I already know they 'echo off the ground', which I highly doubt anyways.

Anyone have any video proof of what is louder? I dont care about cab resonance either, Im so used to it from my previous set up.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Well guys, I'm going to have to disagree with you all, I went out and cut off my turn downs, took it for a drive, and lost that great rounded glassy flowmaster sound. Now I have just a muffled air sound. I will be buying a new sawzall blade, cutting before the weld on the muffler, and clamping some new turn downs on ASAP.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Shut the front door! No way is it quieter without turn downs.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, I'm going to have to disagree with you all, I went out and cut off my turn downs, took it for a drive, and lost that great rounded glassy flowmaster sound. Now I have just a muffled air sound. I will be buying a new sawzall blade, cutting before the weld on the muffler, and clamping some new turn downs on ASAP.

I coulda saved you some time and money if I'd seen this post earlier! lol With open chambered mufflers your exhaust is just getting pumped straight out the outlet, less back preasure yes, louder no. It's just like how an exhaust tip can make a exhaust system sound differnet. Varrying on the size and length of the tip, the tip can act as a megaphone of sorts and project the sound better. I know it sounds like a stretch, but that's honestly the way it is. Even with your turn down on the muffler (which isn't a whole lot of pipe) it projects the sound a little better by "focusing" the exhaust gasses/sound after they finish bouncing around in the muffler.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Haha, megaphone tips....those things are as loud as they are ugly. Want the loudest? Go with long primaries! :crazy: