What fits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

piratemike

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new here and to chevey/gmc trucks. I recent got a 1989 Silverado 4x4.
I am considering swapping the headlights and possibly the grille. Could someone tell me what year model GMC grille assemblies will fit my truck? Is there a list or a tickle somewhere that I could read to see exactly what I would need for this swap? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Actually I take that back. What's your current headlight setup and what are you looking to run? That would help a bit as you might need new pigtails. As far as the grille swap, just buy the grille you want along with the corner markers for the side as well, as long as it's 88-94 you shouldn't need to swap the core support, and I don't think you would have to do it for a 95-98 either but someone should probably jump in and correlate that.

piratemike

Reaction score
Hey nightrunner. Thanks for the reply. Right now everything is stock Silverado. It has the quad headlights. Looking to swap to composite headlights w/bulbs. No led or hid.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Grab a new set of composite headlights and pigtails, they'll bolt up to your core support no problem. Then, sell them to me. :p

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
In addition to @NightRunner's post: The 94-98 grilles do indeed attach differently to a 88-93. You would need the corner pieces (behind the bumper on each side attached to the lower trim), the lower trim piece under the grille, and that should be it to convert your 88-93 grille to a 94-98 style grille. 88-93 GMC and Chevy grilles interchange, 94-98 GMC and Chevy grilles interchange.

OP, since you are looking for a GMC grille and don't want to convert, I would look for a 88-93 style GMC grille like this (not my truck):

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want to swap to a 94-98 style grille, here's what it looks like (my truck):

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this helps you. Have fun with your swap! Be sure to post pics when you are done. :D

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a set of clear composites with LED turn signals. Little dusty but I actually removedcthem off my 89 and going back to quad headlights. To me that’s what makes our trucks distinctive from all the other years.
I’m basically going to run high beam sealed for low beams and wire up a 4hi headlight feature and some fog lights.

I’m sure you can pick up a set of composites pretty cheap on EBay.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
You sure can! Pretty cheap Chinese stuff that doesn't last a year. I am almost close to doing the mod as well, not sure if I want to do the bigger bulb conversion or the quads conversion... Leaning more towards the quads... So you said you put a sealed high beam in the low beam spot? Does it fit? Will it blind others?