What do you guys think for this 2wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been looking around for a 2wd chevy/gmc to work on and make a street truck. I live in Canada so rust is always a factor up here, but I stumbled across a fairly decent looking '97 gmc Sierra SLE, ext. cab with 3rd door.

It's all original white paint and 146,*** KM on the original 350 Vortec.

I went and checked it out today and noticed it had some bubbling rust over the window on the roof, as well a couple good size dents on the driver side of the cab. The guy said he put new tires on it, new brakes and a new front window. Now besides that bubble rust on the roof, there was a small amount on the lip of the passenger fender that goes under near the rocker panels. Other than that I did not see anything, fenders felt solid and the bottom of the cab was just chipped did not see any rust, which was amazing to me.

Now the guy has it listed for 5,900 bucks and I told him I would give him 4 grand cash since I will still need to safety it and never know what might pop up, but he responded with a resounding NO. He told me his lowest dollar will be 5 grand, and went on about how he took it to the GMC dealership in my city and they told him if they had the money to buy it they would list it for 6000 there. Obviously I said "umm, so what, a dealership will try to make as much money as they can, I am planning on dropping money on the truck" and he still was firm.

I bought a '94 4x4 chevy with 132,*** KM on it and almost as good of shape as this 2wd for $4500, so I figured I was being fair with offering 4000 since it would be a useless truck in winter around here, and it's not like it's completely restored and flawless.

What do you guys think? Should I just cave in and pay the $5K and have a nice looking, low KM truck to start soupin' up? Or should I hold off and see if I can get him lower?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in Southern Alberta. I wish I could pick up a rig from BC. I have no idea how much hell it would be to register it in Alberta though, and I dont have a trailer that I could tow it across the border with either.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I don't have enough initiative right now to convert the km's and $'s to what makes sense to me, but if he wants too much, let it go man.

Can you post pics?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You guy's can't move vehicles between provinces?

I agree with the other guy's, it seems like too much money to me. I always advocate buying the nicest vehicle you can find, no matter how long the search takes.

Also, what kind of GMC dealership doesn't have the cash on hand to buy a GMT400? Lmao. And obviously he can't sell it at that price, or it would be gone. Wait him out, or find a better one altogether.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
146,000 KM would be about 66K miles, considering there around 2.2 km in a mile, right?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guy's can't move vehicles between provinces?

I agree with the other guy's, it seems like too much money to me. I always advocate buying the nicest vehicle you can find, no matter how long the search takes.

Also, what kind of GMC dealership doesn't have the cash on hand to buy a GMT400? Lmao. And obviously he can't sell it at that price, or it would be gone. Wait him out, or find a better one altogether.
RIGHT! That's why I was like, what difference does it make that the dealership would buy it and try to sell it for, obviously, far more than it is worth. Haha