What cam do you recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I am looking to have get my motor rebuilt. I am unsure on what cam to get. I don't know a whole lot about performance mods. I'm looking for something mild. I don't want to go crazy or anything. Here is what I plan to do with the motor:

Bore .30 over
vortec heads
gm vortec tbi intake
Holley 670 TBI
Tune
I already have a custom 3" exhaust with no cat. into flowmaster muffler.
Stock exhaust manifolds

The only thing I am unsure of is the cam. The valve springs and rockers are going to be stock vortec. I don't want to change any of that right now. I just figured that if I'm going this far into the engine I might as well put a different cam in it.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
comp cams has a few step up cams from stock. however i only looked in to 4x4 cams for the most part. i have the number wrote down for a street cam also that will work with my vortec w/out mods to the heads. are you running a vortec or just vortec heads?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think so, that's if you were looking for the truck in your sig., it's a roller motor. I am pretty sure he doesn't want to have to spend the extra right now to convert to roller.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
What is involved with converting to roller? Is there a benefit to this?

Oh, and is my motor a mechanical flat tappet or a hydrolic flat tappet? It's a 350.

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's hydraulic flat tappet, the only engines that are full mechanical are those that run solid lifter's. The benefit's from switching to roller are, smoother rev up, higher redline 5k instead of 4k like all TBI's, and you can get a lot more aggresive with the cam profile, like the ramp up. You would have th buy, the lifter spider which keeps the lifter's from turning, have your block machined for the hold down bolt's. Next you would need a vortec timing chain set and a vortec timing cover, you also need a melonized steel gear for your distributor, so the roller cam doesn't chew it up. and of course the roller cam of your choice.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Thats more than I want to deal with. If you have to do that then might as well just look for a vortec engine to rebuild. I'm going to stick with what I got and just go with a mild cam.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im sure either way your going to be happy with what you build over what you have now. but i looked for a vortec truck because i knew that the fuel injection set up and the ecm is what i wanted for a little more power and econ. i knew it was a full roller but i didnt know you had to do all of the above to make an older block same as the vortec. so i can say i cant help you with a cam on this one man!