What are you running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The only reason I'd ever port a subwoofer box is to gain low end response. It's not hard to get a subwoofer that will play at the volume that I want at 40-80hz but below 40hz it starts to get more difficult. If you want to get really fancy there's a program called WinISD that you can plug in all the (very) detailed specs of your desired subwoofer and it will graph and calculate the frequency response. You can play with the box size and tuning frequency and most of the time when I've messed with it the tuning frequency that gives me the flattest frequency response is below 30hz. Most subs in the proper box can play down to about 30hz so if you tune it below that (about 28hz is good a lot of the time) or actually just where the frequency response starts to drop off then you can boost those lower frequencies some which puts the point where the subwoofer starts to drop off down lower hopefully close to 20hz because that's about the bottom of what we can hear.

A box that is ported higher like in the 40-60hz range is going to be really "peaky" where it will sound tons louder at a certain frequency or a certain song than it does at everything else. IMO that sounds like crap. Theoretically a perfectly flat response would sound equally good on any type of music as it would treat all frequencies the same... But not all music is recorded with the idea of a flat response system in mind. A lot of Pop/rap is mixed with stock stereos or stereos without much bottom end in mind and therefore on a proper system the bass might be more than what the artist intended... anyway I digress.

You are a stereo god!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine, too.

I'm more into sq, also. Most of my neighbours don't know what my system is capable of. I prefer it that way.

exactly, I like to enjoy my music without disturbing the people in other vehicles around me. I have one neighbor who's kid has an old nissan or something and he's got something like a 15" sloppily put in there, he keeps turning it up and all you can hear is rattling and noise up and down the street. its really annoying.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sick! How do you have the amp rack attached to the back of the cab? Liquid nails or did you bolt it down?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
exactly, I like to enjoy my music without disturbing the people in other vehicles around me. I have one neighbor who's kid has an old nissan or something and he's got something like a 15" sloppily put in there, he keeps turning it up and all you can hear is rattling and noise up and down the street. its really annoying.

Damn kids & their 8-tracks!

narizon

Reaction score
Amp rack has two 3" L corner braces bolted to ply & them screwed with self taps & to the body.This way = no holes in the back of the cab.Used some clear Silicone with self taps to keep stuff out/H2O.Fits perfect between folding seat & back of cab.
By going this rout the rear seat's always is in place,no way to fold it up.Also you don't have/see Amps & wire's under the seat for other eyes to see & want.Looks as if no system their.Only those who know my ride know about the Sub box.

narizon

Reaction score
Well,all I can say is to each his own.I happen to enjoy my music nice & loud when I can & were I can.I understand that not every body has the same taste but that's what makes us who we are,different.I like it that way.Iv'e spent many hours/$$/cut's & burns that I just simply enjoy my ride & honestly MARIACHI music has to be played loud or else it's not MARIACHI.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn kids & their 8-tracks!

tell me about it :lol:

there's a difference between listening to your music and enjoying it loud yourself, and being disrespectful to people around you. the dumbass who puts a bunch of 15's in and cranks it to the point of distortion JUST so others around can hear that he has big speakers is a dumbass and needs a good kick in the head, it's completely different than cranking up the tunes to a good song you enjoy, and even if high decibels are your only goal in a system, thats fine too, but keep it in the sound competitions, not up and down the neighborhood streets at inappropreate times.

I like to crank it up too, but I've also put the time and energy into sound deadening my whole cab, so that when I do, I can enjoy it loud without disturbing the people up the street.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd consider it a mild to moderate system. I'm not much for loud, but I am all about sound quality. plus everything I have appears very stock, all speakers are setup to sit behind the stock grills, and the sub is carpeted in the same color as the bench/floor, so unless you know its there, it's practically invisible.
Yep mine too. Just the way I like it :)

You are a stereo god!
Why thank you! I'm not sure that's accurate but flattering nonetheless :)

there's a difference between listening to your music and enjoying it loud yourself, and being disrespectful to people around you. the dumbass who puts a bunch of 15's in and cranks it to the point of distortion JUST so others around can hear that he has big speakers is a dumbass and needs a good kick in the head, it's completely different than cranking up the tunes to a good song you enjoy, and even if high decibels are your only goal in a system, thats fine too, but keep it in the sound competitions, not up and down the neighborhood streets at inappropreate times.

I like to crank it up too, but I've also put the time and energy into sound deadening my whole cab, so that when I do, I can enjoy it loud without disturbing the people up the street.
Agreed!

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
^^^Cool! So, that box is underneath the rear seat? It kind of looks like its under one of the front seats in the pictures. What are the dimensions?

Yes, it is under the passenger seat. It's 4" high total. Here is a pic of the dimensions:

attachment.php

Sick set up Brian, Sick as hell!

Thanks, man. I really got lucky when I found that sub on Craigslist, it was exactly what I was looking for. I've had quite a few friends whose trucks have been broken into because of their system, so I wanted to keep it hidden.

For those that want to do the same, take a look at shallow mount subs. Kicker, Pioneer, and a few other big name brands make them. I heard a lot of good things about the Kicker CVT's, but since I found the Pioneer so cheap, I went with that. It really does well, especially for the size, it hits almost as hard as my friends who have normal 10's taking up a lot more room. Mine had a minimum mounting depth of 2.5"!! And I think the minimum box volume was something like .15 cu. ft.