What are the best exhaust manifold gaskets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have some headers that are leaking from the gaskets. There seem to be several different types and I'm not sure what would be my best bet. I'd rather spend a little more to get a better seal. Thanks.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Copper gaskets are the best, but they are expensive. I have shorty headers on my 97 5.7L and I am using Percy seal 4 good. They have been on my truck for at least 1 year, and they don't leak. I did however tighten the hell out of my header bolts. The Percy's seal 4 good are aluminum. I think copper gaskets are around 80 or 90 bucks and Percy seal 4 good are like 35 or 40.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always used Copper seal with my gaskets, one day I found all but one bolt fell out of my headers and it never leaked . So now I swear by it!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interestingly I've had an opposite experience with copper gaskets. I bought some SCE copper gaskets to go with my Pacesetter shorties and they leaked on the drivers side within two months. I torqued and re-torqued them properly, too. Switched to a standard Fel-Pro gasket and haven't had a problem since.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to order some. Square port 1.5 is stock right? I'm just making sure before I order. Thanks guys.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Switched to a standard Fel-Pro gasket and haven't had a problem since.

I ran the stock type metal gasket in Fel-Pro on many headers back in the day, always worked great. Of course periodic header bolt re-tightening is pretty much required on most header installs...

Richard