Welp, got a doner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

Buddy donated an 01 Burban with a 5.3 to me and I'm super stoked.

I've got a 96 sierra with a 0411 and was wondering what I'd need for the swap.

So far I know I'll need a ac compressor relocation bracket, but where to get? I'm guessing I'll need to relocate the alternator as well right?

Thanks for any input y'all.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ICT Billitt makes good stuff. Gonna need motor mounts, new headers if you don't wanna run the stock LS manifolds. Your fuel pump should be ok as you have a Vortec motor, but will need to run new fuel lines with adapters. Adapters for oil pressure and coolant temp.
I would just run the stock LS ECM, tying it into the stock harness.
Are you pulling the trans as well?
Are they both 2wd or 4x4?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is probably the best video series I've come across. His wiring series is awesome.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ICT Billitt makes good stuff. Gonna need motor mounts, new headers if you don't wanna run the stock LS manifolds. Your fuel pump should be ok as you have a Vortec motor, but will need to run new fuel lines with adapters. Adapters for oil pressure and coolant temp.
I would just run the stock LS ECM, tying it into the stock harness.
Are you pulling the trans as well?
Are they both 2wd or 4x4?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is probably the best video series I've come across. His wiring series is awesome.
Thanks for the info man. The donor has a 60 and my truck has an 80 so I'm going to try and adapt the lm7 to the tranny I have. They're both 4x4 though.

My buddy keeps telling me I can just pull the harness from the donor and run that, but not sure how to do that. Are you saying just write an lm7 tune to the 0411 I have? I wonder how to adapter the fuel wiring. I will check out that video! As far as adapters, they make plugNplay ones for oil and temp? That's pretty cool! I could just splice into them too right?

My fuel setup is from a 98 from the filter back. Does the newer style have those wretched QD's on the engine side? Man I hate those .

I heard that there are adjustable motor mounts they make it so you can position the engine forward or back a few inches. My truck currently has shorties with a full exhaust. I'll likely have to relocate the collectors a bit huh?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your current exhaust headers won't work, will have to see where the new ones fall and hook it up to the existing system.
Switching to the 4l80 will require a shorter driveshaft and transmission brace moved back a bit.
Pull the entire harness and ECM, splice the few wires needed. The video explains it pretty well. No sense trying to get your 411 to run it when the one from the donor is designed to run the motor.
You will have to get into the ECM and change some stuff. Like for the new to it transmission, lack of 02 sensors and VATS.

Edit... just reread your post.
Shouldn't have to mess with driveshaft and cross member as they are already in the truck being swapped.
But you may have to switch flywheel, not 100% on that.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.3L will be a dog but it is not too overly difficult of a swap.
Hey L31, I remember you saying this before in another post. It's because of the rpm range where it makes power right? I wonder about camming it first then. I need to change some stuff anyway, like oil pan gasket and other seals. It will be torn into before going into my 96.

I guess Inhavent ton figure out how to pull an entire harness from a car then. I'm not certain how they're set up in the first place. I'd have to pull wiring from the cab too right?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey L31, I remember you saying this before in another post. It's because of the rpm range where it makes power right? I wonder about camming it first then. I need to change some stuff anyway, like oil pan gasket and other seals. It will be torn into before going into my 96.

I guess Inhavent ton figure out how to pull an entire harness from a car then. I'm not certain how they're set up in the first place. I'd have to pull wiring from the cab too right?
LS engines make their power at a higher engine speed because their design. They also have less displacement. In a heavy truck they really need more gear and more stall speed if they are mated to an automatic transmission.