Well this WAS not fun. (trouble starting/running truck)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it sound's like the alt. might be bad, and remember that if you check it with an ohm meter it should read at least 13.8, no less. You should be able to unhook the batt. and the truck should still run, if the alt. is putting out correctly, this is providing that you have any other large electrical current draw at the same time.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
let not jump to conclusions too fast, check the free things also before you replace anything. i agree its prob the alt, but dont forget what connects it to the system! check all your cables for corosion and all that good stuff.

dustin83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any writes up on changing the ALT? I'm aware its easy, I've changed them in other vehicles, I just need to do it ASAP when I am doing it because we aren't supposed to work on vehicles here and I want it done with no snags.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Battery Test & Alt Test will be your fix. It's 1 or the other or maybe both.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it should go somthing like this. 3/8 ratchet to take the tension off the tenioner pully, turn to the right i belive. its a square slot not socket. just take the belt off the alt pully itself. should be two 9/16 bolts right out in the open easy to get at to get the alt free from its braket. one wire harness conector to unplug and a cable with a 7/16 or 1/2 inch nut holding it to the alt. after that you should be free. guys correct me if im wrong please!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it may be turn to the left to take the tension off actually. if it doesnt turn easy right then its to the left. you can move it by hand but will need the wrench to move it far enough. this is all assuming that the alt is the problem. i would still check everything out first.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe it's your battery...When you unhook the jumper cables it should stay running off your alternator(if it's putting out). For a quick easy test without a voltmeter...use a screwdriver. With the vehicle running touch the screwdriver to the back of the alternator right in the middle on the spot about the size of a quarter...Was the screwdriver attracted to it? The alternator will put out a magnetic field if it is working.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe it's your battery...When you unhook the jumper cables it should stay running off your alternator(if it's putting out). For a quick easy test without a voltmeter...use a screwdriver. With the vehicle running touch the screwdriver to the back of the alternator right in the middle on the spot about the size of a quarter...Was the screwdriver attracted to it? The alternator will put out a magnetic field if it is working.

Negative if the Alternator crapped out on him.
If I remember correctly.......
The battery is only needed to start the truck. After the truck starts the ALT takes over (if it's working well enough ).
If the Alt is defective the truck will run off the battery which normally drains the battery .

and I wouldn't personally try the screwdriver method.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Negative if the Alternator crapped out on him.
If I remember correctly.......
The battery is only needed to start the truck. After the truck starts the ALT takes over (if it's working well enough ).
If the Alt is defective the truck will run off the battery which normally drains the battery .

and I wouldn't personally try the screwdriver method.

"Negative if the Alternator crapped out on him."...Which is why I said if it's putting out.

It's not a method...it's a simple check to see if the alternator has any output. Won't hurt anything to try it..Magnetism doesn't hurt.